This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outlets Per Breaker

Somebody should probably mention that Charlie.

The code minimum is sort of meant for convenience outlets where there aren't really any planned loads.
    Sam, San Francisco Bay Area

Comment

Originally posted by physis:
      Yeeaahhh, my rriibbss are just about ready to meet there demise. MM,mmm, potatoes and gravy, phwew. I don't need you guys. I'll be juusstt fine

Comment

Let's see if we can come to a conclusion pertaining to the number of receptacle outlets allowed on a branch circuit. There is NO limit for the number of recept outlets supplied by general purpose or small appliance branch circuits installed in DWELLING UNITS. For OTHER than dwelling units, the calculated load for receptacle outlets is 180 volt-amperes for each recept on a single yoke or strap.

Comment

I haven't decided yet Dillon, but the Bar-B's loaded with mesquite. :cool:

Comment

John,
            It may have taken 4 pages of posts but I think that you've summed it up very well.
            Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

ok ok ok

Someone look up in the code where if you run a 20 amp circuit and have one device attached. The device must be rated equal to atleast the overcurrent (breaker) rating.

Now that's in the code. Here is states 1 outlet.

Great discussion though.

Comment

I'm not sure what your question is Bigjohn but I think the answer is in 210.23(A) through (D).

Edit: left out an important word.

[ May 04, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Comment

I see what your question is.

210.21.(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receceptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

Comment

Big john,

you said in your post:

a 20 amp circuit and have one device attached
                    this could be one 15 amp duplex receptacle. As Physis had stated only a single receptacle would be required to be rated for 20 amps. A 15 amp duplex would also satisfy this section.
                    Rob

Comment

Physis,

Other than dwellings 13 recpts. on a 20a circuit. That's why this Forum is so Great,I started in this trade in 1968 and never left it,and now in 2005 I just find out,13 recpts. on a 20a circuit.

frank
                      Frank Arizona,USA

Comment

Frank, this forum is so definately indeed a great place.

I've brought up a recent situation where I somehow became responsible (I was never actually responsible) to sort of bring a commercial property occupant up to speed on his code compliance. I don't really do much commercial either.

I was rather amazed at how prepared and informed I was to deal with something like this. This web site and two books, one, the 2002 NEC, is my only source of knowledge.

This is most certaily a great place. :cool:

Comment

BigJohn67, Infinity:
                          210.21.(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit. This means a single receptacle, NOT A DUPLEX recept.

Comment

Physis,

The thing of it is all I do is comm/indst type work.There are blueprints for all the work,so it has never really been an issue.It's ironic that I never even heard the rule in all that time. Been fun talking with ya,later

frank
                            Frank Arizona,USA

Comment

Well I challenge everything, give me a blue print, I hope it's right.

Comment

BigJohn67, Infinity:
                                210.21.(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit. This means a single receptacle, NOT A DUPLEX recept.
                                That's exactly what I said. A post said a 20 amp circuit with one device. IMO one device means that it's on one yoke. A duplex is one device. If that device were a duplex receptacle than it could be a 15 amp duplex.

[ May 05, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]
                                Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X