Outlets Per Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: Outlets Per Breaker

The question:

Is there a code limit on the number of outlets allowed per breaker?
Answering for receptacles in nondwelling units from the 2002 NEC:

Yes.

From 220.3 Computation of Branch Circuit Loads.

This section specifies the power and therefore current that each receptacle will be calculated to require.

220.3(B)(9) Receptacle Outlets........... receptacle outlets shall be computed at not less than 180 volt-amperes for each single or for each multiple receptacle on one yoke....................
It does not require that a branch circuit be installed to supply the calculated current.

But this section does.

210.11 Branch Circuits Required. Branch circuits for lighting and for appliances, including motor operated appliances, shall be provided to supply the loads computed in accordance with 220.3......................
That is quite simply the end of the story. All that is left is to do the math.

For 120v, 180w/120v = 1.5a.
15a/1.5a = 10
20a/1.5a = 13.3

__________________________________________________________________________________

Frank, addressing 220.13.

It is part of Part II of Article 220.

II Feeders and Services

220.10 General.
The computed load of a feeder or service shall not be less than the sum of the loads on the branch circuits supplied, as determined by Part I of this article, after any applicable demand factors permitted by Parts II, III or IV have been applied.
There is no allowance to apply a demand factor to a branch circuit.

[ May 04, 2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

rmatc4

I appreciate everyone's input. I am sorry I didn't specify dwelling or non-dwelling. Its just a simple open space that may one day be used for an office. My boss asked my group to finish the space and provide outlets for the future. Thats all the guidance I was given. The future tenant would probably be someone with only computers and lighting.

Unless I am completely off base, it appears that I could go with at least 8 outlets on a 20 Amp breaker?

physis

You still din't say whether it's a dwelling or nondwelling. :D

I'm assuming again it's commercial and 8 would be fine but you can have:

13 receptacles (those could be typical duplexes)on a 20 amp circuit.

10 receptacles on a 15 amp circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Unless I am completely off base, it appears that I could go with at least 8 outlets on a 20 Amp breaker?
Yes, I agree with Physis you could have 13 single, duplex or triplex devices on a 20 amp circuit.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by rmatc4:The future tenant would probably be someone with only computers and lighting.
As a matter of design choice, not of code requirements, when I know (or suspect) that the receptacle outlets will be used to power computers, I prefer to install 4, or at most 6, for each 20 amp circuit.

physis

Somebody should probably mention that Charlie. :)

The code minimum is sort of meant for convenience outlets where there aren't really any planned loads.

dillon3c

Originally posted by physis:
Yeeaahhh, my rriibbss are just about ready to meet there demise. MM,mmm, potatoes and gravy, phwew. I don't need you guys. I'll be juusstt fine
:D

john m. caloggero

Let's see if we can come to a conclusion pertaining to the number of receptacle outlets allowed on a branch circuit. There is NO limit for the number of recept outlets supplied by general purpose or small appliance branch circuits installed in DWELLING UNITS. For OTHER than dwelling units, the calculated load for receptacle outlets is 180 volt-amperes for each recept on a single yoke or strap.

physis

I haven't decided yet Dillon, but the Bar-B's loaded with mesquite. :cool:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

John,
It may have taken 4 pages of posts but I think that you've summed it up very well.

bigjohn67

ok ok ok

Someone look up in the code where if you run a 20 amp circuit and have one device attached. The device must be rated equal to atleast the overcurrent (breaker) rating.

Now that's in the code. Here is states 1 outlet.

Great discussion though.

physis

I'm not sure what your question is Bigjohn but I think the answer is in 210.23(A) through (D).

Edit: left out an important word.

[ May 04, 2005, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

I see what your question is.

210.21.(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receceptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Big john,

you said in your post:

a 20 amp circuit and have one device attached
this could be one 15 amp duplex receptacle. As Physis had stated only a single receptacle would be required to be rated for 20 amps. A 15 amp duplex would also satisfy this section.

benaround

Physis,

Other than dwellings 13 recpts. on a 20a circuit. That's why this Forum is so Great,I started in this trade in 1968 and never left it,and now in 2005 I just find out,13 recpts. on a 20a circuit.

frank

physis

Frank, this forum is so definately indeed a great place.

I've brought up a recent situation where I somehow became responsible (I was never actually responsible) to sort of bring a commercial property occupant up to speed on his code compliance. I don't really do much commercial either.

I was rather amazed at how prepared and informed I was to deal with something like this. This web site and two books, one, the 2002 NEC, is my only source of knowledge.

This is most certaily a great place. :cool:

john m. caloggero

BigJohn67, Infinity:
210.21.(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit. This means a single receptacle, NOT A DUPLEX recept.

benaround

Physis,

The thing of it is all I do is comm/indst type work.There are blueprints for all the work,so it has never really been an issue.It's ironic that I never even heard the rule in all that time. Been fun talking with ya,later

frank

physis

Well I challenge everything, give me a blue print, I hope it's right. :D :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

BigJohn67, Infinity:
210.21.(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit. This means a single receptacle, NOT A DUPLEX recept.
That's exactly what I said. A post said a 20 amp circuit with one device. IMO one device means that it's on one yoke. A duplex is one device. If that device were a duplex receptacle than it could be a 15 amp duplex.

[ May 05, 2005, 11:47 PM: Message edited by: infinity ]

Status
Not open for further replies.