Shower light height?

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbie m

I have searched the fora and not found the answer to my question so I hope someone here knows the answer. I'm adding a master suite to my house. In the bathroom, there is a recessed light over the shower. The inspector says that there is a requirement for the light to be a certain distance above the shower floor. I called Cooper lighting and they said there is no such requirement.

I live in Tempe, AZ and code here is NEC 1996. Anybody know if there is a height-above-shower-floor requirement for lighting?

TIA,
Debbie <just a homeowner>

torint

Re: Shower light height?

Ask the inspector what the heighth requirement is and what code article in the NEC to refer to.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

The inspector is wrong.(unless a local amendment) If it would help, have it put on the GFCI circuit, although this is not a code issue either, it is a good idea IMHO.

Roger

russ

410.4(D) 2002 or 1999 NEC
These height limits don't include recessed fixtures

Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected fixtures, hanging fixtures, lighting track, pendants or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 3 ft (914 mm) horizontally and 8 ft (2.44 m) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

Russ

[ March 10, 2003, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

debbie m

Thanks to all of you. I didn't think there would be an issue that cooper lighting wasn't aware of - so the inspector must be thinking of the rule about ceiling fans etc. I'll double check our code amendments to make sure. Thanks again!

Debbie
<amateur electrician, professional chemist>

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Debbie,
<amateur electrician, professional chemist>
I'm impressed. Just goes to show you why we have neuro surgeons, NASA people, CIA, FBI, Etc... people here. Electricity is fascinating to all. :D

Just kidding. Well, not really.

Roger

hurk27

Here's one I didn't know about:

680.43 Indoor Installations.
(B) Installation of Luminaires (Lighting Fixtures), Lighting Outlets, and Ceiling-Suspended (Paddle) Fans.
(1) Elevation. Luminaires (lighting fixtures), except as covered in 680.43(B)(2), lighting outlets, and ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans located over the spa or hot tub or within 1.5 m (5 ft) from the inside walls of the spa or hot tub shall comply with the clearances specified in (a), (b), and (c) above the maximum water level.
(a) Without GFCI. Where no GFCI protection is provided, the mounting height shall be not less than 3.7 m (12 ft).
(b) With GFCI. Where GFCI protection is provided, the mounting height shall be permitted to be not less than 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.).
(c) Below 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.). Luminaires (lighting fixtures) meeting the requirements of item (1) or (2) and protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be permitted to be installed less than 2.3 m (7 ft 6 in.) over a spa or hot tub.
(1) Recessed luminaires (fixtures) with a glass or plastic lens, nonmetallic or electrically isolated metal trim, and suitable for use in damp locations
(2) Surface-mounted luminaires (fixtures) with a glass or plastic globe, a nonmetallic body, or a metallic body isolated from contact, and suitable for use in damp locations

Would this include tub type spa's? since the NEC doesn't differnate.

Status
Not open for further replies.