Plastic Staples vs. Metal Staples

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

I have a couple of questions about staples.

1. What is the preferred choice amongst thy forum goers? Plastic or Metal

2. Are there code differences when using the two? Example - Amount of wires allowed per.

3. Does anyone feel that work done with metal staples looks more neat?

4. Will someone please share stories regarding their experience with both? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks, ACE

allenwayne

Re: Plastic Staples vs. Metal Staples

i for one have a heavy hammer :D i stop short of pressure shorts but still I will chuck a staple and grab another if it doesn`t lay right when hammer is poised.To tell the truth i have only used plastic bushed staples once went out to my truck to get old rusted staples i am used to :D

bphgravity

I'm not exactly sure what the point of using an insulated staple would be. Cables already have sufficent insulation or jacketing.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

bphgravity:
I wonder if electricians are installing NM cable staples more "gently" now that we have AFCI breakers.

dana1028

1. I prefer plastic...they have a built-in 'stop' so you can't short out the cable with a 'heavy hammer'.
2. not a code issue per se...the package tells you how many cables can be secured depending on the size of the staple.
3. no
4. I have seen 'heavy hammers' short out NM cable with metal staples, never seen this with plastic.

jwelectric

When I run out of staples can I bend over an eight penny nail or use a tie wrap and a nail?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

[ March 09, 2005, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by luke warmwater:
Doesn't Mass. require insulated staples??
You have a good memory.

Insulated staples required for smaller NM sizes, unless installed by a listed staple gun.

kendog

Inactive, Email Never Verified

Yes, insulated staples are required in certain states. I like plastic staples myself. Lot less chance of pinching a wire and there alot easier to drive in. As far as how many wires you can stick under a plastic staple it depends on the staple, you would have to check the box. One other thing that I like about plastic, you can buy a gun that shoots staples rated for 10 to 14 gauge wire.

peter d

I would like to add that by virtue of being next to Massachusetts, we here in Connecticut and also Rhode Island use the metal staples with a plastic insulator 99% of the time, even though we are not required to.

One of the major manufacturers of insulated staples is in MA. (go figure) and the other is in southern New Hampshire, quite close to the MA market. So most of the suppliers in New England get staples from those two manufacturers, and we all end up with insulated staples. :)

I guess the point is, it's funny how geography plays into these things sometimes.

I live in NY but have moved to WA for the winter and I have had the hardest time finding insulated staples out here. Back east every supply house had the gallon buckets of them, out here two big supply houses I checked both didnt stock them! I have to go to home depot and buy the 150 boxes. Its been interesting seeing how trade practice varies from one location to another. I dig the insulated staples not only for the extra protection, but also you can get them a bit tighter safetly which holds romex tighter and neater.

physis

The old metal U shaped jobs, at least when I use them, half of the time instead of going into the wood they go flying through the air. Then after you get one half way in it folds over and looks all terrible. Yuck. Hate 'em.

These are the only ones I use anymore.

3KF16.JPG

I love these. Like someone mentioned they stop before pinching the cable. They look a lot better. You can nail them in in tighter places because you can angle the two nails so you can get a hammer on them. Plus, when you need a little nail for something, just take one out of one of these. And they're easier on the thumbs.

allenwayne

How many cables are they rated for???? ;) sounds like 3m stackers are apart of this300.4 D :roll:

luke warmwater

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by luke warmwater:
Doesn't Mass. require insulated staples??
You have a good memory.

Insulated staples required for smaller NM sizes, unless installed by a listed staple gun.
Bob,

this goes back to when I worked in a mobile/modular home plant.

All homes being shipped to Mass. had to be wired using insulated staples.

And I thought I remembered you or Scott mentioning this also.

I've never had the trouble that some say they have with driving regular wire staples.
The only time they seem to bend is when you drive them into a knot, so I don't drive them into knots.

Anyway, I'm going to check a job at the beach today. The smell of salt air makes me wish I was going fishing.

allenwayne

It`s a blistery 70 today have to wait till the water gets into the 70`s before I launch my boat :D

physis

How many cables are they rated for???? ;)
I don't know Allen. I have some right here on my desk for some reason but they're in a wire nut jug. I use 'em for two and haven't been called on it.

allenwayne

Just curious There was a time when i was in the field that i would bundle as many cable assys as I could fit under an seu staple till I got tagged.Also was a time I remember stapling nm to the side of a furring strip on a block wall :D

physis

My first ever electrical inspection I got it for three NM's under staples. I've never even looked for a code, just don't do it anymore more.

What is it? Staple listing that limits cable count under a staple.

Status
Not open for further replies.