Vinyl siding over SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonype

Vinyl siding and trim recently installed over SEC - cannot find anything on whether this is legit. I realize that it may be more of a POCO issue. Any insight?

Attachments

• VinylSidingOverSEC.pdf
    65.2 KB · Views: 0

kwired

Electron manager
My opinion: you have entered the building with service conductors- any local limitations on length allowed inside begin to accumulate, also needs 1/16" protective plating or be 1-1/4" from the surface.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It is no longer on the outside of the building therefore as Kwired stated it's length is limited and cannot be that long.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is no longer on the outside of the building therefore as Kwired stated it's length is limited and cannot be that long.

that would appear to be the key issue. However, the code does not make any kind of statement as to the length allowed once it is no longer "outside", and AFAIK, very few localities have local amendments for such length. There are a lot of places where inspectors just allow a certain amount of length, but in a legalistic sense, they have no such authority as inspectors. Only the AHj can make that determination and only by whatever rule making authority they have.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Maybe my view of the picture (PDF) is not what you guys see, but I'm not seeing it enter the house. I see the SE from the weatherhead and down but can't see anything from there. If that's the case, how do you know it's not going down to the meter and straight through to the inside panel?
I think the OP's concern is the J-channel laying over the SE, possibly someone running a nail or screw through it without seeing it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
that would appear to be the key issue. However, the code does not make any kind of statement as to the length allowed once it is no longer "outside", and AFAIK, very few localities have local amendments for such length. There are a lot of places where inspectors just allow a certain amount of length, but in a legalistic sense, they have no such authority as inspectors. Only the AHj can make that determination and only by whatever rule making authority they have.

Here in NJ the amount permitted to allow for "inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors" would be the SEC's penetration between the meter and the panel. Anything ahead of the meter would exceed that limit.

kwired

Electron manager

Some places don't have a distance, I think quite a few do though. Here State AHJ says 5 feet of conductor entry, they might give you a little more in some cases. I don't know they officially have any amendments however, those would have to be on the law books somewhere.

I have read here in the past of some places that don't let you enter at all - service disconnect must be outside in those places I would guess, or be immediately inside at point of entry of service conductors. Having a distance stated that is standard throughout a jurisdiction seems to me would be easiest to enforce as well as for installers to know what to expect for enforcement instead of having to wonder what your inspector may require, or what a different inspector in same jurisdiction will require.

tonype

The cable at the lower-right corner of the photo heads to the meter - just around the corner on the side wall. My question only involved the siding and trim work that covers the siding.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Wow, siding over old siding, Certainly can't get better craftsmanship than that.:slaphead:

As to your question, no way. You can't bury the service entrance conductors, even if in RGS, under siding. Gotta re-run it on top of that mess!

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
Wow, siding over old siding, Certainly can't get better craftsmanship than that.:slaphead:

As to your question, no way. You can't bury the service entrance conductors, even if in RGS, under siding. Gotta re-run it on top of that mess!

-Hal
Pretty common thing with vinyl siding.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Around here if the old siding was aluminum you would see how fast it would be removed and taken to the scrap yard. Plastic isn't worth anything so the heck with it, leave it there and bury the service entrance cable along with it. Nothing but the best. :sick: Probably a rental or ignorant home owner.

-Hal

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Around here if the old siding was aluminum you would see how fast it would be removed and taken to the scrap yard. Plastic isn't worth anything so the heck with it, leave it there and bury the service entrance cable along with it. Nothing but the best. :sick: Probably a rental or ignorant home owner.

-Hal

I never seen vinyl installed over top of aluminum or other vinyl, but is common to see vinyl or even aluminum over wood or wood composite siding, though most aluminum siding was installed before wood composites were around or at least about the same time they were first used.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
I never seen vinyl installed over top of aluminum or other vinyl, but is common to see vinyl or even aluminum over wood or wood composite siding, though most aluminum siding was installed before wood composites were around or at least about the same time they were first used.

Same here.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.