No announcement yet.

Grounded Conductor - Switch Leg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry folks! I had to be away for a while and just now got back to this thread! I was thinking there was a section in the code addressing this....and you have led me to it! 300.3(B) (2017 edition)! The first sentence where it says "where used" is what I needed to know! Thank-you! I probably gave a little too much detail and made my OP confusing. I was only concerned about whether I needed to have the grounded conductor enter that switch box. Seems the majority of you all agree that I don't. And so that is how I will draw up the design for this switch. Will use a 1" nipple (although a 3/4 would work...just easier for the electrician to pull) and (4) #6 THHN conductors (2 in...and 2 out). Thanks everybody for the great discussion and the code guidance! I'm still rusty from being away from this work for a few years. I keep reading the code and following this forum! Getting spun up pretty quick!
    Facilities Electrical Engineer
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Comment

Sorry for the double post.....not sure how that happened! Looks like I accidentally posted it up before I finished proofreading/editing it.
      Facilities Electrical Engineer
      Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post

First the OP's circuit doesn't have or need a neutral conductor to function.
        The circuit may not need the neutral conductor to function, but, I think he has one, otherwise, why would he have even mentioned a "grounded conductor" in his original post?

JAP>

Comment

Originally posted by jap View Post

The circuit may not need the neutral conductor to function, but, I think he has one, otherwise, why would he have even mentioned a "grounded conductor" in his original post?

JAP>
          IDK, but if the load doesn't utilize a neutral yet you run one anyway does it count as one of the "all conductors of the circuit"?

No different than pulling extras that are not white or gray IMO. They mean nothing to the rules in discussion here, until you utilize them.
          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
          X