Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NM stapled beside furring strips

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    NM stapled beside furring strips

    In a recent inspection, the inspector rejected where I had stapled NM on the side of furring strips citing 300.4D. I thought that only applied to the depth from the face of the wood, not distance from the side of the furring strip. Thoughts?

    #2
    Where it's a furring strip or a stud you still need the 1.25" clearance from the front face of the wood. You could attach it to the wall 1.25" away from the edge of the furring strip and that would be code complaint.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
      In a recent inspection, the inspector rejected where I had stapled NM on the side of furring strips citing 300.4D. I thought that only applied to the depth from the face of the wood, not distance from the side of the furring strip. Thoughts?
      Originally posted by infinity
      Where it's a furring strip or a stud you still need the 1.25" clearance from the front face of the wood. You could attach it to the wall 1.25" away from the edge of the furring strip and that would be code complaint.
      So, how DID you attach the cable to what kind of furring?

      -Hal

      Comment


        #4
        If the NM is not 1-1/4 from the edge of the strip, the inspector is correct, You can do as Infinity suggests or they do make "Skak-its" designed for the strips.
        At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

        Comment


          #5
          I would use a Caddy Colorado Jim strap to hold the NM cable 1.25" away from the edge of the furring strip.
          Rob

          Moderator

          All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
            I thought that only applied to the depth from the face of the wood, not distance from the side of the furring strip.
            Apparently he is aware of the 1-1/4" rule. So I'm confused about what he is talking about. Are these the usual 1x furring? Did you just assume that because you only had 3/4" that you could just staple your NM down it and the 1-1/4" rule didn't apply?

            The 1-1/4" rule allows you to go horizontally away from the edge of the framing member also in order to comply. So in this case that's the only way to do it. You should have stackers and/or Colorado Jims on your truck- use em'.

            -Hal

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by hbiss View Post

              Apparently he is aware of the 1-1/4" rule. So I'm confused about what he is talking about. Are these the usual 1x furring? Did you just assume that because you only had 3/4" that you could just staple your NM down it and the 1-1/4" rule didn't apply?

              The 1-1/4" rule allows you to go horizontally away from the edge of the framing member also in order to comply. So in this case that's the only way to do it. You should have stackers and/or Colorado Jims on your truck- use em'.
              The way I understood the rule, if the NM was passing through the stud or furring less than 1.25" from the face, then a metal plate was required to cover it. However I have seen many existing installations where the NM was stapled to the side of the furring. I thought this was allowed since the drywall installers know where the furring is and run their screws down the center of the furring. (Let's not get into a discussion about how incompetent drywall installers are. I agree they are.) I usually use furring standoffs for the NM to avoid problems, but this remodel I'm doing has a lot of existing NM stapled to the sides of furring and I didn't think I needed to change it.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post

                The way I understood the rule, if the NM was passing through the stud or furring less than 1.25" from the face, then a metal plate was required to cover it. However I have seen many existing installations where the NM was stapled to the side of the furring. I thought this was allowed since the drywall installers know where the furring is and run their screws down the center of the furring. (Let's not get into a discussion about how incompetent drywall installers are. I agree they are.) I usually use furring standoffs for the NM to avoid problems, but this remodel I'm doing has a lot of existing NM stapled to the sides of furring and I didn't think I needed to change it.
                You have to stay 1-1/4" away from the furring strips.
                If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

                Comment


                  #9
                  300.4 has steel plates in ex's a number of times , with this note>
                  A listed and marked steel plate
                  dies anyone know what 'marked' references ?

                  ~RJ~

                  Comment


                    #10
                    IMO, if this was an existing install and was approved then I don't see why you would have to change it. If the old job was not permitted then I agree with the inspector.
                    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                    I can't help it if I'm lucky

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by romex jockey View Post
                      300.4 has steel plates in ex's a number of times , with this note>

                      dies anyone know what 'marked' references ?

                      ~RJ~
                      The protection plate is required to be a minimum of 1/16". The exception allows for the plate to be less than 1/16" if it is listed and marked.

                      300.4(A) Cables and Raceways Through Wood Members.
                      (1) Bored Holes. In both exposed and concealed locations,
                      where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed
                      through bored holes in joists, rafters, or wood members,
                      holes shall be bored so that the edge of the hole is not less
                      than 32 mm (1 1 ⁄ 4 in.) from the nearest edge of the wood
                      member. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the
                      cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by
                      screws or nails by a steel plate(s) or bushing(s), at least
                      1.6 mm ( 1 ⁄ 16 in.) thick,
                      and of appropriate length and width
                      installed to cover the area of the wiring.
                      Exception No. 1: Steel plates shall not be required to
                      protect rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit,
                      rigid nonmetallic conduit, or electrical metallic tubing.
                      Exception No. 2: A listed and marked steel plate less than
                      1.6 mm ( 1 ⁄ 16 in.) thick
                      that provides equal or better protec-
                      tion against nail or screw penetration shall be permitted.
                      Rob

                      Moderator

                      All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post

                        The way I understood the rule, if the NM was passing through the stud or furring less than 1.25" from the face, then a metal plate was required to cover it. However I have seen many existing installations where the NM was stapled to the side of the furring. I thought this was allowed since the drywall installers know where the furring is and run their screws down the center of the furring.
                        No different in a regular 2x framed partition or wall. You have to keep 1-1/4" from the face or edge of the stud. It's not assumed that the drywall installers are going to find the studs with any accuracy.

                        -Hal

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by hbiss View Post

                          No different in a regular 2x framed partition or wall. You have to keep 1-1/4" from the face or edge of the stud. It's not assumed that the drywall installers are going to find the studs with any accuracy.
                          If I attach a deep new work plastic junction box to a stud and insert an NM cable in the connector closest to the stud, that cable is less than 1.25" from the face of the stud. Please explain why nail plates are not required in this situation.

                          (I would have liked to post a picture, but alas....)

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post

                            If I attach a deep new work plastic junction box to a stud and insert an NM cable in the connector closest to the stud, that cable is less than 1.25" from the face of the stud. Please explain why nail plates are not required in this situation.

                            (I would have liked to post a picture, but alas....)
                            Because it is not secured to the stud.
                            Tom
                            TBLO

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post

                              Because it is not secured to the stud.
                              It's also not going to move if a screw starts pushing it. The screw will just go right through it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X