Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you need clearance for a disconnect switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree the more working space the better. That being said.
    110-26(a)¹ is referring to ....to keep it simple electrical circuit breaker panels.
    By others definition of it we would need the 3' clearance for a simple light switch.. where do you draw line?

Comment

Originally posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
      110-26(a)¹ is referring to ....to keep it simple electrical circuit breaker panels.
      What makes you think that?
      Originally posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
      By others definition of it we would need the 3' clearance for a simple light switch.. where do you draw line?
      By definition it could mean a simple light switch

" (A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating
      at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to
      require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance
      while energized shall comply with the dimensions of
      110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted
      elsewhere in this Code."

Note the word equipment above and devices below

Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances,
      luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a
      part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation.

Roger

Comment

You can ask this question to ten different inspectors and you will get both answers. I know we always try and get clearance but what about in a crawl space. How do you get the height???? We always try and get the disconnect in the most accessible area.

The odd thing is I can install an entire panel 1 foot off the ground with a wp cover that hinges at the top and it is compliant. I have actually seen it like that before. I was not happy to have to work on it.
        They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
        She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
        I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
          You can ask this question to ten different inspectors and you will get both answers. I know we always try and get clearance but what about in a crawl space. How do you get the height???? We always try and get the disconnect in the most accessible area.

The odd thing is I can install an entire panel 1 foot off the ground with a wp cover that hinges at the top and it is compliant. I have actually seen it like that before. I was not happy to have to work on it.
          As Roger pointed out that section includes equipment which could be a counter top receptacle which will never have the required clearance.

This all goes back to the point I was making in post #10, this entire section is horribly written.
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
            What makes you think that?
            By definition it could mean a simple light switch

Equipment. A general term, including fittings, devices, appliances,
            luminaires, apparatus, machinery, and the like used as a
            part of, or in connection with, an electrical installation. ...
            Looking at the definition of "Device"
            Device. A unit of an electrical system, other than a conductor, that carries or controls electrical energy as its principal function.

It absolutely includes a light switch.

Without data you’re just another person with an opinion – Edwards Deming

Comment

Clearance required under 110.26
              It is beyond a stretch to try to make a case for no compliance needed.
              "If you always do what is right to others you can't go wrong"

The more I learn, the more I realize just how much I don't know.

[COLOR="Red"]Always consult your local code enforcement department for direction. Read at your own risk[/COLOR]

Comment

You could also make the case that the code for clear working space doesn't mention disconnects.
                I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
                Electrical Inspector
                IAEI / CEI / C10
                Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyjwc View Post
                  You could also make the case that the code for clear working space doesn't mention disconnects.

You could also make the case that the AC equipment control and power box needs 110.26 clearance, not just the disconnect.

Roger

Comment

You could also make the case that the AC equipment control and power box needs 110.26 clearance, not just the disconnect.

Roger
                    That is true and if you go by the letter of 110.26 you would have to maintain clearance around receptacles. Remember it says 'equipment', which in 100 defines as "A general term....devices....in connection with an electrical installation."

Now 110.26(E) "....Switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor controls...."

Yes, I know it's a word game and yes I'm am playing the devils advocate.

I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
                    Electrical Inspector
                    IAEI / CEI / C10

Comment

[COLOR=#000000]Roger
                      [/COLOR]

That is true and if you go by the letter of 110.26 you would have to maintain clearance around receptacles. Remember it says 'equipment', which in 100 defines as "A general term....devices....in connection with an electrical installation."

Now 110.26(E) "....Switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, and motor controls...." But 110.26 says "...shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment...."

Yes, I know it's a word game and yes I'm am playing the devils advocate.

John Childress
                      Electrical Inspector
                      IAEI / CEI / C10

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyjwc View Post

Old news, see posts #17 and 20

Roger

Comment

Working...
                        X