Old "hockey puck" JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old "hockey puck" JB

How much weight can an existing "hockey puck" size JB old? The old JB that is common for old K & T or old BX.

As in fixture weight.....?

~RJ~

Comment

There is usually a 1x or 2x directly above that box. I’ve screwed directly into that vs relying on the box and its mounting screws.

How much weight? Good question. Some of it is very dry and splits. Some so hard you need a pilot bit.

Tom
      TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post

~RJ~
        Yes fixture weight. a 7 pound fixture that needs to be installed.

I don't have my code book on me but for some reason I keep thinking I'm supposed to change the box out to a ceiling fan rated box....but maybe that's only for new installations

Comment

Originally posted by JJWalecka View Post

Yes fixture weight. a 7 pound fixture that needs to be installed.

I don't have my code book on me but for some reason I keep thinking I'm supposed to change the box out to a ceiling fan rated box....but maybe that's only for new installations
          You don't need a ceiling fan box unless you are installing a ceiling fan or a fixture more than 25 lbs if memory serves. Even then you don't need a ceiling fan box if you can support the ceiling fan independently of the box.

You do need a ceiling fan box if you are doing new construction and you pull a 14-3 to the ceiling light box even if you are not installing a ceiling fan.
          If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Originally posted by romex jockey View Post

~RJ~
            I thought he was asking because he wanted to hang a plant from it.
            If Billy Idol is on your playlist go reevaluate your life.

Comment

Cast iron or steel, I think 7 lbs. is nothing for (2) 8/32, I would bet some old fans are still on regular steel and plastic boxes.
              314.27?

Comment

Are you referring to a pancake box? Thy should hold the same weight as any steel box.
                Master Electrician
                Electrical Contractor
                Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by JJWalecka View Post
                  How much weight can an existing "hockey puck" size JB old? The old JB that is common for old K & T or old BX.
                  About the only common feature of old K & T or old BX ceiling junction boxes is that they were mostly non-galvanized steel painted black.

To me, a "hockey puck" invokes the memory of a 3-1/4" octagon box that is 1-1/2" deep.

I've routinely seen:
                  • flat pan 1/2" deep both 3-1/4" and 4" wide. black paint
                  • octagon box 1-1/2" deep, 3-1/4" and 4"wide, black paint
                  • actual round boxes 1-1/2" deep, 4" wide, black paint
                  More often, than not, in my experience, the box is on a rudimentary bar hanger with a 1/2" IP fixture stud, otherwise, it is screwed ( OK ) or nailed ( ! ) to a framing member or backboard.
                  Most have #8x32 fixture mounting screw holes in box ears.
                  Some boxes have no box ears at all.
                  Some really old boxes have #10x20 or #10x24 fixture mounting screw holes in the box ears.

I agree with ActionDave, above, that a 7 pound luminaire (as long as it is not a paddlefan) is well within the original NEC of installation to be supported from the old black painted ceiling boxes.

Practical experience has taught me to check the box attachment to structure, and if possible to beef it up, but that is not needed very often.
                  Another Al in Minnesota

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDave View Post

I thought he was asking because he wanted to hang a plant from it.
                    >>>

~RJ~

Comment

Working...
                    X