Grounding electrode system at service disco

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I do see that NEC 2014 Article 250.50 mentions that grounding electrode system be formed by bonding grounding electrodes. However which code section says this grounding electrode system has to be at service disconnect?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
You must be kidding with me no? I am asking because I have situation where one made GEC connection to ground rod at service disco but did not bond steel or metal underground water pipe. I cited 250.50 but was told all that section says it to bond so that their is GES but does not say GES have to be service disco. Furthermore I was told GEC connection comply per NEC 250.24(A)(1) have GEC to ground rod at service disco. What code section violates since this is not mentioned in 250.50?

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Look here at 250.58 and then 250.64 seems to support it also

250.58 Common Grounding Electrode. Where an ac system is
connected to a grounding electrode in or at a building or structure,
the same electrode shall be used to ground conductor
enclosures and equipment in or on that building or structure.
Where separate services, feeders, or branch circuits supply a
building and are required to be connected to a grounding electrode(
s), the same grounding electrode(s) shall be used.
Two or more grounding electrodes that are bonded together
shall be considered as a single grounding electrode system in
this sense.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Michael you found what I was looking for. The section I quoted was indirectly showing the grounding electrode conductor gets connected to services. Good job

You must be kidding with me no? I am asking because I have situation where one made GEC connection to ground rod at service disco but did not bond steel or metal underground water pipe. I cited 250.50 but was told all that section says it to bond so that their is GES but does not say GES have to be service disco. Furthermore I was told GEC connection comply per NEC 250.24(A)(1) have GEC to ground rod at service disco. What code section violates since this is not mentioned in 250.50?

250.24 does not say that.

250.24 basically says where to connect the GEC.

250.50 says how to make the grounding electrode system.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Let's be clear the grounding electrode conductor does not have to be connected at the service disconnect but anywhere that is part of the service. I didn't take the question so literally.

250.24 Grounding Service-Supplied Alternating-Current
Systems.
(A) System Grounding Connections. A premises wiring system
supplied by a grounded ac service shall have a grounding electrode
conductor connected to the grounded service conductor,
at each service
, in accordance with 250.24(A)(1) through
(A)(5).

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
250.24 does not say that.

250.24 basically says where to connect the GEC.

250.50 says how to make the grounding electrode system.

Situation I have is I have one GEC going to ground rods from service disconnect. There is no GEC or bonding jumper to qualified building steel and to underground metal water pipe. None from anywhere in service or bonding jumper from other electrodes. Which code section it violates?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Should it not be 250.50 and 250.24(A)(1)? 250.50 justs says to bond electrodes to form grounding electrode system. Where do you bond GES formed in 250.50.

The answers have been given to you, it would behoove you to find a course that can help you with understanding the NEC.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.