625.40 625.41 EV Charging Station Rating and the CEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrickleCharge

So I stumbled across a home builder (new construction) who is installing 2 receptacles in a garage that are labeled for EVCS. These are (2) 20A rated receptacles that are on one 20A branch circuit. When I look in the CA Electrical Code, Section 625.41 and 625.44 are completely marked out with a line thru it. So my question is: If I'm solely going off of 625.40 and sized to 125%, how do I know what size to provide for the circuit if we do not know the exact manufacturer? Is there a min. standard that I am missing? Should we just require the 2 outlets to be on separate 20A rated circuits? This is a tract development that is getting ready to build over 80 homes. Thanks in advance.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
As I understand it - here on the left coast (southern portion) - the requirement for EV charging is to provide a minimum 1" raceway from the service equipment or main panel to the future EV parking space, and the service and/or panel must have capacity for a 40 amp 240 volt additional circuit. This requirement can be found in the 2016 CA Green Building Standards Code 4.106.4.1 There is no requirement that I am aware of that requires conductors be installed in the raceway before the home gets a C of O.

TrickleCharge

That is correct. They do have the 1" conduit and capacity for the 40A EVCS breaker. My question is if they are installing a 20A circuit for 2 receptacles for "EVCS" how is the load calculated?

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well the NEC does not give any specific help on this one that I can see. Since EV charging is considered a continuous load a 20 amp 120 volt circuit would be calculated at no more than 1920 VA. Or you could simply use the 1500 VA that is use for 20 amp small appliance and laundry circuits. Might be time to contact the designer for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.