Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitchen receptacle with a full window above sink

Hello,

I have an odd situation where i have a full window above the sink. It doesn't have any back splash for me to put an outlet. Does this space count as a break in wall space or do i still need to provide an outlet for this space?

The outlets are for the counter not the wall so imo you need to have receptacles installed. There are some people who say a window is not a wall so no outlet is necessary.

We have installed silllite receptacles on the inside of the window. The picture shows it on the sill but we install them on the ends facing each other

Click image for larger version

Name:	White_SCRW.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	2532282
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by shortcircuit1 View Post
      Hello,

I have an odd situation where i have a full window above the sink. It doesn't have any back splash for me to put an outlet. Does this space count as a break in wall space or do i still need to provide an outlet for this space?
      The sink itself counts as a break in the required receptacle spacing, so, unless there is 12" or more counter depth between the sink and the window, your 24" measurement starts at each side of the sink.
      Master Electrician
      Electrical Contractor
      Richmond, VA

Comment

So they are allowed to be face up on a sill? I guess that's fine if you never open the window or water a plant.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post

The sink itself counts as a break in the required receptacle spacing, so, unless there is 12" or more counter depth between the sink and the window, your 24" measurement starts at each side of the sink.
          I agree, the area behind the sink doesn't count as wall space even where there is a wall there when less than 12".
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

It's a break no outlet needed,
            what happened to the like button?

Comment

I assumed the op knew that ...Maybe not

Comment

Originally posted by sameguy View Post
                It's a break no outlet needed,
                what happened to the like button?
                Its a break but you still need a outlet with in 2' of the edge of the sink.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

I assumed the op knew that ...Maybe not
                  The distance is less than 12" so its a break but i still need a outlet with in 2' though.

Comment

Problem is i need to put an outlet with in 2' of the edge of the sink as distance was less than 12". That 2' falls where the window is.

Comment

Problem is i need to put an outlet with in 2' of the edge of the sink as distance was less than 12". That 2' falls where the window is.
                      Dare I assume that the window is wider than the sink?

Comment

What about those pop up outlets?

Comment

An alternative is a receptacle on the lower cabinet face.
                          Master Electrician
                          Electrical Contractor
                          Richmond, VA

Comment

An alternative is a receptacle on the lower cabinet face.
                            Larry take a look at 210.52(C)(5). The exception allows receptacle below the countertop but only for islands and peninsulas

Comment

Hello,

Ok, how wide is the window and how wide is the sink?

-Hal

Comment

Working...
                              X