Kitchen receptacle with a full window above sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit1

Hello,

I have an odd situation where i have a full window above the sink. It doesn't have any back splash for me to put an outlet. Does this space count as a break in wall space or do i still need to provide an outlet for this space?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hello,

I have an odd situation where i have a full window above the sink. It doesn't have any back splash for me to put an outlet. Does this space count as a break in wall space or do i still need to provide an outlet for this space?

The sink itself counts as a break in the required receptacle spacing, so, unless there is 12" or more counter depth between the sink and the window, your 24" measurement starts at each side of the sink.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The sink itself counts as a break in the required receptacle spacing, so, unless there is 12" or more counter depth between the sink and the window, your 24" measurement starts at each side of the sink.

I agree, the area behind the sink doesn't count as wall space even where there is a wall there when less than 12".

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I assumed the op knew that ...Maybe not

shortcircuit1

Problem is i need to put an outlet with in 2' of the edge of the sink as distance was less than 12". That 2' falls where the window is.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I've had teeth pulled easier than this. Is there two feet or more of window on either side of the sink??

-Hal

If it's only 2' or less beyond the sink, I think the OP is home free-- put the outlet as close to the window frame on either side. Otherwise, it's Silllites!

Status
Not open for further replies.