NEC ADDENDUMS where to find them? e.g. car charger recepts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullheimer

Got a correction for 625.54. if you look in your 2017 codebook you'll see there is no such article. the lead inspector just told me it was in an Addendum to the '17 NEC as was 625.44, and 625.56, which i have NO IDEA what they are since i can't find them anywhere! WA state adopted the 2017 code when it came out so they threw in the Addendums as well after the fact. news to me!!! He said go look it up online! Yeah Right!!! This is just bS , just know that .54 requires all car charger outlets 50A and under to be GFI protected. A Seimens 50A gfi breaker costs me $120 at North Coast, which i am recouping from my customer, but not the $50 trip fee. How do you subscribe to your post? I hate this new forum layout btw peeps!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Washington state does issue its own electrical code, and it is in the format of "amendments," not "addenda." You can find the current versions here: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=296-46B
The 2017 edition of the NEC, as amended by the Washington Administrative Code, did not make any changes to the original NEC article 625. Your lead inspector is wrong, at least in relation to WA State code. Is it possible that there is a local addendum that only applies to your city (i.e., the city where your project is located)?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
WA state adopted the 2017 code when it came out so they threw in the Addendums as well after the fact. news to me!!! He said go look it up online!

One would think that all licensed contractors in the State would be notified of impending code changes preferably by letter or email well before they take effect. I don't know how they can enforce "after the fact" addendums if they don't tell anybody they exist. Sure, they posted them on line but how would you know to look?
Should have told that inspector that your ouija board hasn't been working lately. :dunce:

-Hal

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
There are two updates that the NFPA issues to update the NEC, Erratas and TIAs. A TIA is a temporary interim amendment, IE a temp change that is in effect until the next edition of the NEC, then its submitted as a public comment.
The AHJ should of told you its a TIA (not addendum). Once published by the NFPA a TIA becomes part of the official NEC, and (respectfully) you need to know whats been changed. In my code update classes I go over the Erratas and TIAs, and I am pretty sure L&I had a past article in the currents about this. I will email my contact at L&I and suggest this for a future topic in the Currents.
I couldn't find an erratas for the 2017 NEC, they may be issued but I couldn't find.

This is the one you need https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/AboutTheCodes/70/TIA_70_17_2.pdf

Last edited:

bullheimer

Y'all are right. There is a Washington Code, i checked your link where i thought for SURE it would be and it was not, EVEN THOUGH it was dated two weeks ago ANDis ALREADY being enforced! nothing on 625, however. Mr Baker is right on the money here, it's kinda obvious with that great link. Thank you very much. just noticing 625.44 i have to wonder what they have against twist-to-locks?

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
There are two updates that the NFPA issues to update the NEC, Erratas and TIAs. A TIA is a temporary interim amendment, IE a temp change that is in effect until the next edition of the NEC, then its submitted as a public comment.
The AHJ should of told you its a TIA (not addendum). Once published by the NFPA a TIA becomes part of the official NEC, and (respectfully) you need to know whats been changed. In my code update classes I go over the Erratas and TIAs, and I am pretty sure L&I had a past article in the currents about this. I will email my contact at L&I and suggest this for a future topic in the Currents.
I couldn't find an erratas for the 2017 NEC, they may be issued but I couldn't find.

This is the one you need https://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/AboutTheCodes/70/TIA_70_17_2.pdf

What is L&I?

Wouldn't it be a good idea to have them published someplace here on Mike's site? (Not necessarily the forums.)

-Hal

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
L&I is the Washington State electrical agency (Labor and Industries) . The TIAs I referenced are available on the NFPA website.
My recommendation is to print them out, there are 5 or 6 and redline code book with note to updated pages. Also update code book for erratas

Status
Not open for further replies.