No announcement yet.

210.52(C)(5)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, there was a change in the exception between 2014 and 2017. In 2014, the exception allowed installations below the countertop if you met condition (1) [COLOR=#FF0000]OR[/COLOR] (2). In 2017, the "or" was changed to "and." I am not familiar with the NFPA's Manual of Style. But just using plain English, I would interpret this as saying that you can only apply the exception if you meet both conditions. Anyone wish to comment?
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
      By the way, there was a change in the exception between 2014 and 2017. In 2014, the exception allowed installations below the countertop if you met condition (1) [COLOR=#FF0000]OR[/COLOR] (2). In 2017, the "or" was changed to "and." I am not familiar with the NFPA's Manual of Style. But just using plain English, I would interpret this as saying that you can only apply the exception if you meet both conditions. Anyone wish to comment?
      Charlie, the change to "and" instead of "or" is confusion. IMO, the "and" does not mean you have to meet both conditions but rather the receptacle is allowed to install on the cabinet within 12" of the top and 6" or less overhang. This is true for both conditions "A" or "B".

A handicapped individual may have an island where receptacles can be installed above the countertop but they are allowed to be installed lower because of condition 1. If it is not a handicap install and there is a place to mount the receptacles above the countertop then , IMO, it cannot be mounter into the side of the cabinet. Notice also that wall mounted countertops must have the receptacles mounter either in the countertop or above. It cannot be mounted below the top in the sides of the cabinet or on the face of the cabinet
      They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
      She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
      I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

Originally posted by charlie b View Post
        210.52(C)(5) starts with, “Receptacle outlets shall be located. . . .” The word that is not present is the word, “Required.” Specifically, 210.52(C)(5) does not start with, “(The) REQUIRED receptacle outlets shall be located. . . .” That can be interpreted as meaning that if any receptacle is installed, whether it be the code-required one or otherwise, it shall be located as described.
        Except 210.52(C) limits the scope of the section to "receptacle outlets for countertop spaces." So 210.52(C)(5) is a location limit only on "receptacles outlets for countertop spaces."

Cheers, Wayne

Comment

Working...
        X