3 wire outlet 4 wire dryer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Older apartment with 3 wire dryer outlet.
New Tenant with 4 wire dryer and factory cord.

Who gives?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Or also leave the factory 4 wire cord on the dryer, change the receptacle out to a 4 wire, and, jumper the grounded and EGC I take it?
The factory cord on the dryer s not your standard eyelet type connection. It is male to female quick connectors.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
One way your modifying a factory cord, the other way your falsely connecting a 4 wire receptacle.

To me, both seem odd.

JAP>

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
If #12 EGC from laundry duplex is too small for NEMA 10-30R electric dryer branch circuit, can laundry plumbing be a grounding extension per NEC 250.130(C)?

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Or also leave the factory 4 wire cord on the dryer, change the receptacle out to a 4 wire, and, jumper the grounded and EGC I take it?
The factory cord on the dryer s not your standard eyelet type connection. It is male to female quick connectors.

JAP>

That you may not do as it would violate the UL labeled installation instructions for the new receptacle.

--
Tom Horne

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I have never seen a dryer or range come from the factory with a cord....

Nor me until today.

This dryer came with a factory 4 wire cord where the White and Red wire were paired in the same 2 pole female connector, Black in it's own connector and Green with an eyelet on the end of it.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Would there be an issue of jumpering a 4 wire receptacle to accept the 4 wire male cap in this scenario as to not have to modify a factory assembled cord that may void any warranty?

This is an odd one to say the least.

JAP>

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Nor me until today.

This dryer came with a factory 4 wire cord where the White and Red wire were paired in the same 2 pole female connector, Black in it's own connector and Green with an eyelet on the end of it.

JAP>

Do you know the manufacture/model? Just curious since like others i have not run into that yet. Maybe they offer a different cord or an adapter.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
If this were done, I don't know how anyone in the future would ever know that the receptacle in the wall was actually a 3 wire feed instead of a 4 wire feed without getting into it, and, the exception doesn't indicate where the Grounded to EGC connection has to be made.

Only that its allowed.

I wouldn't suggest the jumpered receptacle, but, it's something to think about in this scenario with the factory plug and play connectors like this one has.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nor me until today.

JAP>

Are you sure the distributor or seller didn't install the cord. Lowes used to send the dryers out and give the installers cords to put on. In some cases the installers were putting the cords on before they got to the job.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Do you know the manufacture/model? Just curious since like others i have not run into that yet. Maybe they offer a different cord or an adapter.

That's exactly what I suggested.

I'm not actually doing the work, I was just asked about it.
First cord I've ever seen like it on a dryer.

Don't know if I can get back in touch with him to get me a pic of it or manufacturer.

JAP>

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
If #12 EGC from laundry duplex is too small for NEMA 10-30R electric dryer branch circuit, can laundry plumbing be a grounding extension per NEC 250.130(C)?

The water line would only be a part of the Grounding Electrode System if it were the portion within 5 feet of were the piping enters the building.

(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit Extensions. The equipment grounding conductor of a grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension shall be permitted to be connected to any of the following:
(1) Any accessible point on the grounding electrode system as described in 250.50.

The underlining is mine.

--
Tom Horne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

You cannot use the plumbing just anywhere but you can connect to the plumbing where the grounding electrode conductor is attached. You can connect to any point along the grounding electrode system.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It's LG series dryer.

If you google it and look at images you can see some pictures that have the quick connects instead of the eyelets as I was describing.

JAP>

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well it is silly to supply a 4 wire cord when the code allows you to install a 3 wire cord in existing installs

250.140 Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations only where an
equipment grounding conductor is not present in the outlet or junction
box, the frames of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted
cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part
of the circuit for these appliances shall be permitted to be connected to
the grounded circuit conductor if all the following conditions are met.
(1) The supply circuit is 120/240-volt, single-phase, 3-wire; or
208Y/120-volt derived from a 3-phase, 4-wire, wye-connected
system.
(2) The grounded conductor is not smaller than 10 AWG copper or
8 AWG aluminum.
(3) The grounded conductor is insulated, or the grounded conductor
is uninsulated and part of a Type SE service-entrance cable and
the branch circuit originates at the service equipment.
(4) Grounding contacts of receptacles furnished as part of the equipment
are bonded to the equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.