MWBC current question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

If you run two circuits as a MWBC and if there’s a 15A load on phase A and 10A load on phase B, what is the neutral current?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
If you run two circuits as a MWBC and if there’s a 15A load on phase A and 10A load on phase B, what is the neutral current?
That depends on the phase angle between phases A and B.

If it is a 120V/240V system where the phase angle is 180 degrees, then the neutral current is just the arithmetic difference, or 5A.

If is a wye system where the phase angle is 120 degrees, then you need to use vector math. The vector sum 15/0 deg + 10/120 deg is 13.2/41deg, so the neutral current is 13.2A at 221 degrees.

Here I've assumed the current is in phase with the voltage. If not, the answers change.

Cheers, Wayne

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

As Wayne stated it is not so simple but I am going to bet you have a residence with single phase 120/240..... If so it is N1-N2= 15-10 = 5amps

3 phase has a more complicated equation

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
If I remember enough about vectors... and I don't.

You're supposed to add vectors by combining them head to tail... and that ends up with more than 13.2A, if my lines are to scale!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If I remember enough about vectors... and I don't.

You're supposed to add vectors by combining them head to tail... and that ends up with more than 13.2A, if my lines are to scale!

The lines on the attached diagram are not to scale. But I believe 13.2 is correct. 15 and 15 would produce 15. 15 and 0 produces 15. In between you get less than 15.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If I remember enough about vectors...

You have the 15A at 0 degrees, and 10A at 120 degrees. You add them by drawing a line between them and finding the point on the line closest to the origin (0,0). The length of that line (from the origin to the line) is the magnitude of the load current.

This (vector sum) is 13.2A. The point closest to the origin is at 41 degrees-- I'm assuming that, graphically, the line to the origin at 41 degrees is at a right angle to the line between the 2 currents!

The neutral current has to cancel out the load current, so it has to be in the opposite direction. Add 41 + 180 = 221 to find out where the neutral current is pointing.

And, if I'm assuming properly, everything adds up to zero!

*whew*

Please tell me if I have this right!!

The line between them represents the difference. The distance of that line from the origin does not really mean much of anything. And that distance is NOT 13.2.

cppoly

Thanks for responses. My question is for 208/120V 3 phase, 4 wire systems in commercial buildings. I know 3 circuit MWBC has 0 current if all phases are balanced but was curious on what it would be for unbalanced loads for 2 circuits. The key takeaway for me though is that the currents are not additive in this scenario (i.e. 15A + 10A = 25A) on the neutral. And at the very least should NOT be higher than the largest phase current (15A is the maximum current the neutral wire would see - WORST case) right?

So a 2 circuit MWBC shouldn't have any concern on neutral current in this scenario. So that dedicated homeruns are not necessary.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As Wayne stated it is not so simple but I am going to bet you have a residence with single phase 120/240..... If so it is N1-N2= 15-10 = 5amps

That assumes the loads on both have the same power factor. Which may or may not be the case.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
And at the very least should NOT be higher than the largest phase current (15A is the maximum current the neutral wire would see - WORST case) right?

The neutral current could potentially be higher than the largest phase current, again depending on the power factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.