Rule of 6 Disconnecting means

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think they may be talking about 2 rules. of which I am not privvy to. One is the main disconnect must be outside and the other appears to be no mlo panel because you cannot turn the power off --the buss bar is always hot.

I blew a trany once working on a main lug main panel... That buss stays hot and someone called to me and my screw driver did an opps...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think they may be talking about 2 rules. of which I am not privvy to. One is the main disconnect must be outside and the other appears to be no mlo panel because you cannot turn the power off --the buss bar is always hot.

I blew a trany once working on a main lug main panel... That buss stays hot and someone called to me and my screw driver did an opps...

No MLO in any and all cases?

And yahhhh, don't feel bad about the accident, I can assure you I've wrecked worse :lol::eek::rant:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I do not see that the service disconnect needs to be outside however it does appear the MLO panel as a main may be gone.

From what I hear its ok if you separate panels.

I wonder what the substantiation was.

Someone posted the proposed revised section a bit ago, but I don't have it. Yes multiple mains still fine, but must be separate enclosures.

In one of the substantiations I read, the proposer wrote "MLO panelboards are no longer relevant". The only thing I can think of is that person doesn't have much experience pricing gear and is not familiar with applying series ratings (try finding a 65k to 10k series rating with a 1000 amp MB, or anything above 250 for that matter).

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Someone posted the proposed revised section a bit ago, but I don't have it. Yes multiple mains still fine, but must be separate enclosures.

In one of the substantiations I read, the proposer wrote "MLO panelboards are no longer relevant". The only thing I can think of is that person doesn't have much experience pricing gear and is not familiar with applying series ratings (try finding a 65k to 10k series rating with a 1000 amp MB, or anything above 250 for that matter).

I really think we need electricians to start voting on these rules. Master the NEC was outraged at the idea that we could vote for panel members and code rules. As though manufacturer puppets know more then an electrician or electrical engineer not put into power by those who hold it. Success is based not on the individual person, but by those who govern who rises, and who falls based on the abilities to progress hidden agendas. You can never go wrong by doing what is right to those in power.

With that said, the vagaries of fate made the common man an expert himself. If not the ultimate.

kwired

Electron manager
I believe so. I. Not sure if that has been finalized, anyone know?

This will double the equipment cost for a 1000 amp service. From about 5k to 10k

Sure hope something was finalized, as the early copies should have already been printed by now. As Dennis mentioned I think 2020 is currently able to be viewed at NFPA site, you must register. Past codes (at least back to 2002 or so) are all available - can only view them, cant copy/paste anything and navigation to specific places isn't happening - can navigate to beginning of major sections and major subsections though.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Sure hope something was finalized, as the early copies should have already been printed by now. As Dennis mentioned I think 2020 is currently able to be viewed at NFPA site, you must register. Past codes (at least back to 2002 or so) are all available - can only view them, cant copy/paste anything and navigation to specific places isn't happening - can navigate to beginning of major sections and major subsections though.

It is on the NFPA site for free. Past codes to 1978 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.