Premise wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rai136926

I have a project summited for permit and rejected based on the location of service entrance which is connected to primary switchgear and the feeders out of this gear serving loads in different address. He stated we cannot serve one property from another property.

My question is the violation he pointed is Article 225.1. I read the article but did not understand his objection. On top of that this project is upgrading the service. The existing primary gear is in the same area as the new proposed one is and serving load as the new one.

If the properties is owned and managed by the same owner what is the problem?

thanks

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Aerial or underground service? And who owns the switchgear? Back in NJ my neighbor's house was served from a pole by the POCO. The wires crossed over my property to reach his house. IIRC, it was in the deed for my house as an easement.

Rai136926

Aerial or underground service? And who owns the switchgear? Back in NJ my neighbor's house was served from a pole by the POCO. The wires crossed over my property to reach his house. IIRC, it was in the deed for my house as an easement.

It is underground. We obtained from the City to cross a street for work in the right-of-way.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I will need to think about this for a short while. But I can say with absolute certainty that this is total nonsense:
. . . the violation he pointed is Article 225.1.
It is not possible to violate that article, since it states no requirements. It provides information only, information that tells us the purpose of the paragraphs that follow.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Look at the Article 100 definition of "Premises Wiring System." It starts at the service point, and goes all the way to the final outlets. You have one service point, the point at which the serving utility wires end and the owner's wires begin. My take on this is that you have one, and only one, premises wiring system, and it includes all the outlets in all the buildings downstream of that service point. Different addresses means nothing. Different buildings means nothing. You can serve one property from another property, because nothing in the NEC prohibits it. The utility might have relevant rules, but they apparently approved the existing configuration. So they are unlikely to object to your upgrades. In any event, that is a utility decision, not a code official's decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.