Crawlspace shuffle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on guys.

All I've heard in the previous 15 posts is disconnect,disconnect, disconnect, disconnect, disconnect.....

You could install Umpteen disconnects between the meter and the service panel in this scenario and you'd still be no better off unless you installed some type of OCPD at the beginning.

JAP>

Comment

Without OCPD at the meter location what looks like service conductors, smells like service conductors and acts like service conductors are still simply service conductors.

Not feeders.

JAP>

Comment

I was 'assuming' that the 'disconnect' would be a breaker, not just a switch!

I -did- say it would be 'easy' to pull a 4th conductor down the duct....

Comment

Originally posted by jap View Post
          Come on guys.

All I've heard in the previous 15 posts is disconnect,disconnect, disconnect, disconnect, disconnect.....

You could install Umpteen disconnects between the meter and the service panel in this scenario and you'd still be no better off unless you installed some type of OCPD at the beginning.

JAP>
          I said a service disconnect which is required to have an OCPD in or adjacent to it so it should be understood that it will have overcurrent protection. I would assume that the others meant the same.

230.91 Location. The service overcurrent device shall be an
          integral part of the service disconnecting means or shall be
          located immediately adjacent thereto. Where fuses are used as
          the service overcurrent device, the disconnecting means shall
          be located ahead of the supply side of the fuses.
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post

I said a service disconnect which is required to have an OCPD in or adjacent to it so it should be understood that it will have overcurrent protection. I would assume that the others meant the same.

You're usually the exception to my disputes infinity,,, you know that by now.

JAP>

Comment

I just wish my crawl space under my house looked like that.

JAP>

Comment

Makes me wonder if a guy was to pour a thin layer of rough concrete with a vapor barrier like what's in the picture,( prior to framing the floor) if it would solve most of the moisture and mold problems we fight with most crawl spaces in the south with a dirt bottom ?

If it would, it would make me rethink my next crawl space construction project.

JAP>

Comment

In all the talk of disconnects (without OCPD ) One thing that has not been mentioned since the OP - which I think was a question: The lack of securing and supporting of the raceway. yes indeed that is also a violation.
                  Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by jap View Post
                    Makes me wonder if a guy was to pour a thin layer of rough concrete with a vapor barrier like what's in the picture,( prior to framing the floor) if it would solve most of the moisture and mold problems we fight with most crawl spaces in the south with a dirt bottom ?

If it would, it would make me rethink my next crawl space construction project.

JAP>
                    You don't want rough concrete, you want it smooth finished. Don't have to be power troweled but still reasonably smooth, especially if pretty low clearance - then you can maneuver around in there with a mechanic's creeper. Construction guys need to sweep it out before they put the floor above or your creeper hangs up on debris that was left in there, bad enough other trades that do go in there later will likely leave debris behind.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                    X