3-way adapter plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
Assuming these plugs are Labeled/Listed
fetch
are they ok for a permanent installation? Just noticed this installed under a drinking fountain?

Attachments

• photo21852.jpg
    photo21852.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 0

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
What's plugged in besides the drinking fountain?

Was the grounding pin on the adapter snipped off to plug into a 2-wire socket?

nietzj

Occupation
Electrician
There are a couple small transformer loads with a 2 -wire cord feeding the drinking fountain, so they are 2 prong but no grounding pins snipped off. I assume the copper water pipe is grounding the fountain.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
There are a couple small transformer loads with a 2 -wire cord feeding the drinking fountain, so they are 2 prong but no grounding pins snipped off. I assume the copper water pipe is grounding the fountain.

In addition to a line cord from the fountain? So three receptacles are needed?

-Hal

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
One could argue that this violates the "not used as a substitute for permanent wiring" rule in 400.12. I get that that rule addresses flexible cords, and not this type of 3:1 adapter. But I would not put it past an Inspector to call the installer out on this issue. For my part, I would put into the concept of "the NEC applies to the premises wiring system, and this device is not part of that system, as it is not itself an outlet." That makes it acceptable simply because it is not addressed in the code.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Assuming these plugs are Labeled/Listed are they ok for a permanent installation? Just noticed this installed under a drinking fountain?

"Permanent installation" :? Is the electrician, that is installing the branch circuit, providing the triple tap for Utilization Equipment specified on the job plans?

--OR-- is the building's occupant placing the triple tap to add Utilization Equipment? Here, if this is the case, other regulators (Fire Marshall, Insurance, OSHA, drinking fountain manufacturer's instructions) might have something to say, but, as Charlie B notes, the triple tap is not part of the Premises Wiring (System) as defined in NEC Article 100 Definitions.

The triple tap, plugged into an existing Receptacle Outlet, is as "permanent" as the supply cord from the drinking fountain, itself.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Assuming these plugs are Labeled/Listed
fetch
are they ok for a permanent installation? Just noticed this installed under a drinking fountain?

I don't know weather it is legal or not, but I don't see why it would not be. They also make a surface mounted multiple receptacle adapter that plugs in the same way, some are secured to the existing outlet with a 6-32 screw and some incorporate surge protection as well. A Wiremold box or a box extension to add more receptacles would be the best fix mounted over the existing box.

Status
Not open for further replies.