Nec 2014 Article 517.35(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Nec 2014 Article 517.35(C) Location of Essential Electrical System Compartments says: "...Considerations shall also be given to the possible interruption of normal electrical services resulting from similar causes as well as possible disruption of normal electrical services due to internal wiring and equipment failures....

Attached sketch I have new 600A service disconnect tapped from service entrance conductor inside 2500A switchboard CT compartment. 600A service disconnect feeds ambulatory outpatient clinic tenant. All the other service disconnects from switchboard except one label Spare feed other tenants in building. Alternate source for ambulatory outpatient clinic is generator that forms essential electrical system NOT shown in attachment.

My question is right now all five service disconnect load is less than 2500A so switchboard bus is not overloaded. However, NEC 2014 Article 517.35(C) consideration shall be given to normal disrruption of normal service due to equipment failures. So in considering 517.35(C) in future equipment failure would be possible if all of service disconnects are loaded and swbd loaded beyond 2500A and swbd bus would fail. Would above 517.35( C) be correct interpertation and instead of service conductor tap/splice from swbd CT compartment bus new utility service be brought so that interruption is not likey due to equipment failure or attachment shown comply per NEC 2014 Article 517.35(C)?

Attachments

• 20190922_200840.jpg
    20190922_200840.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Nec 2014 Article 517.35(C) Location of Essential Electrical System Compartments says: "...Considerations shall also be given to the possible interruption of normal electrical services resulting from similar causes as well as possible disruption of normal electrical services due to internal wiring and equipment failures....

Attached sketch I have new 600A service disconnect tapped from service entrance conductor inside 2500A switchboard CT compartment. 600A service disconnect feeds ambulatory outpatient clinic tenant. All the other service disconnects from switchboard except one label Spare feed other tenants in building. Alternate source for ambulatory outpatient clinic is generator that forms essential electrical system NOT shown in attachment.

My question is right now all five service disconnect load is less than 2500A so switchboard bus is not overloaded. However, NEC 2014 Article 517.35(C) consideration shall be given to normal disrruption of normal service due to equipment failures. So in considering 517.35(C) in future equipment failure would be possible if all of service disconnects are loaded and swbd loaded beyond 2500A and swbd bus would fail. Would above 517.35( C) be correct interpertation and instead of service conductor tap/splice from swbd CT compartment bus new utility service be brought so that interruption is not likey due to equipment failure or attachment shown comply per NEC 2014 Article 517.35(C)?

Can someone who is familiar with BEC 2014 Article 517.35(C) please help me post#1?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Your sketch has nothing to do with 517.35(C), you stated that there is a generator not shown.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.