code for smoke alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

I have a new house ready for residential smoke alarms . I noticed the price is about double if you get them with co2 protection also . Is that or any other protection besides smoke required by the new codes .? There is a built in 2 car garage under the living / dining / kitchen area .

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I have a new house ready for residential smoke alarms . I noticed the price is about double if you get them with co2 protection also . Is that or any other protection besides smoke required by the new codes .? There is a built in 2 car garage under the living / dining / kitchen area .

Typically, CO is now required in any residence that has a fossil-fuel appliance in it. I don't know if Georgia has a uniform construction code and/or if any jurisdictions follow the IRC, but that would require them as well. Typically for new construction they have to be hard-wired.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That is a building code or State Fire Marshall rule, at least it is in my state. The NEC is silent on residential smoke alarms other than a complete fire alarm system. Here, we are only required to have one CO. Some say one on each level but I've never been asked to do more than one. Of course, that's in addition to the smoke alarms. I usually use one combo CO/smoke and just smokes for the rest.
You're best bet is to contact your inspector and ask what is required in your state.

retirede

Illinois requires a CO detector within 15’ of every bedroom if the home has fossil fuel appliances or an attached garage.
So more than one may be required depending on the floor plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.