Table 310.15(B)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbolen

I have a 2 inch conduit with 16 #12 XHHW current carrying conductors. What size breaker can I use for over current.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . assuming you are using 90C wire
Help me out here. I see that XHHW appears in both the 75C and 90C columns. I had not noticed that before, as I never specify that type insulation. So how does one determine whether the wire you buy is the 75C version or the 90C version? :?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Help me out here. I see that XHHW appears in both the 75C and 90C columns. I had not noticed that before, as I never specify that type insulation. So how does one determine whether the wire you buy is the 75C version or the 90C version? :?

Yeah that surprised me years ago that a wire in a wet location is rated less than in a dry location. If the insulation has a -2 after the letters then it is 90C for both wet and dry as Curt mentioned above.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
OK. Thanks. And now that I have learned something new today, an event that should happen every day, I can go home. Right? :lol:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes the devil is in the details. If this were a test question you would really need to know if the location were wet or dry. Wet drops you below 15 amps after derating.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a 2 inch conduit with 16 #12 XHHW current carrying conductors. What size breaker can I use for over current.

I think the other posters have covered it pretty well, however, I would suggest that sometimes the answer comes in the form of another question that goes something like "why would anyone do that?".

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Heck, if this were a test question you would need to know the sort of load being served. If this were a bunch of motor circuit conductors.....

-Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.