Pool Equipment and Corrision

Status
Not open for further replies.

horses

We are finishing a hotel that was permitted prior to the 2017 code change where article 680.14 came out. There are (3) separate rooms off the indoor pool area (1) very small area for chemicals (which has an exhaust fan in it), (1) pool storage, and (1) pool pump. The inspector says that all the electrical equipment/devices etc. need to be corrosive resistant. I know that would be the case if we were using the 2017 NEC, but the electrical engineer didn't design it to meet the 2017 code.

I had specifically asked the engineer in writing if the pool panel needed to be 4X, and he said no.

I can not locate anything in article 680 of the 2014 code book that addresses this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Section 300.6 Protection Against Corrosion and Deterioration. Raceways, cable trays, cablebus, auxiliary gutters, cable armor, boxes, cable sheathing, cabinets, elbows, couplings, fittings,
supports, and support hardware shall be of materials suitable for the environment in which they are to be installed.

I have wired numerous chlorine rooms for gas chlorination, their was always some corrosion. But due to environmental regulations (thankfully- gas chlorination is very dangerous and few suppliers have it) we switched over to 12.5% hypo. Very little issues with corrosion with hypo. We used a fan and intake louvers, fan was on a timer. What I would recommend is a two speed set up, run the fan on low speed all the time, then have a door switch that kicks it to high when the room light is on. Fan and louvers should be at different elevations.
And I wired the chlorination rooms in PVC pipe and boxes

Status
Not open for further replies.