When does NEC article 700 apply (emergency systems) for emergency lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegtaa

New User
Hello everyone,

I am trying to understand when I should apply article 700 EM systems to emergency lighting. The informational note under em systems definition states that it should be used for artificial lighting on occupancy with large numbers (very vague). But the scope info note 3, also refers to the Life Safety code to see where emergency lighting is required.

If I go to the Life Safety Code(2011), I see that a new business occupancy with 3 or more stories requires EM lighting. So if I back up the entire building off of a generator do I have to have a separate transfer switch for "emergency loads" like em lighting, "legally required" & "standby loads"? Most of the older engineers I work with disagree. The engineering firm I work at has never split out the loads with different transfer switches & no inspector has found an issue with this... so far.

Am I wrong to believe that art. 700 applies to egress lighting on back up power with a new business occupancy that is 3 stories?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Emergency lights (bug eyes, wall packs, exits) fall under the scope of ARt 700, see 700.1. somewhere is Art 700 it talks about unit equipment. The code covers the installation of the wiring and light, but not where required, thats what note 3

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Hello everyone,

I am trying to understand when I should apply article 700 EM systems to emergency lighting. The informational note under em systems definition states that it should be used for artificial lighting on occupancy with large numbers (very vague). But the scope info note 3, also refers to the Life Safety code to see where emergency lighting is required.

If I go to the Life Safety Code(2011), I see that a new business occupancy with 3 or more stories requires EM lighting. So if I back up the entire building off of a generator do I have to have a separate transfer switch for "emergency loads" like em lighting, "legally required" & "standby loads"? Most of the older engineers I work with disagree. The engineering firm I work at has never split out the loads with different transfer switches & no inspector has found an issue with this... so far.

Am I wrong to believe that art. 700 applies to egress lighting on back up power with a new business occupancy that is 3 stories?

If you have an occupancy that requires emergency and egress lighting it must be compliant with Article 700. There are a number of allowed types/systems as described in 700. If you choose to use an onsite generator it must comply with the applicable parts of 700 and that includes a transfer switch with only emergency loads connected to it. All optional standby (702) and/or legal required (Art. 701) can be supplied by the same generator but must have separate transfer switches.
The lighting requirements are spelled out in the applicable building code.

ron

I have not referred to NFPA 101 (Life Safety Code) in a very long time. Most jurisdiction define where EM lighting is required in their building code section 1008 Means of Egress Illumination. When EM lighting is required in Section 1008, then you would go to Section 2702 of the same building code which would tell you that you need Emergency Power and that it must be wired per the NFPA 70 / NEC (Article 700).

Status
Not open for further replies.