Closet Finished Basement, GFCi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I have a room (could be a bedroom) in a finished basement with a small closet. The closet contains the service and the Fios ONT, is GFCi protection required for the equipment receptacle within the closet?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I can't remember if 2017 requires GFCIs for all receptacles, regardless if it's finished, because it's on a slab. I kinda think not. At any rate, a receptacle for powering the FiOS ONT, router, etc. normally wouldn't require a GFCI but the receptacle by the panel would.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I can't remember if 2017 requires GFCIs for all receptacles, regardless if it's finished, because it's on a slab. I kinda think not. At any rate, a receptacle for powering the FiOS ONT, router, etc. normally wouldn't require a GFCI but the receptacle by the panel would.

-Hal

But the panel is in a finished portion of the house so why would GFCI protection be required? I don't recall the requirement having anything to do with there being a slab under the carpet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No gfci protection is needed in a finished area of the basement. The 2020 will require gfci for all basement receptacles even in a finished area

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's a closet in a finished basement room with carpet on the floor that houses the electrical service.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's a closet in a finished basement room with carpet on the floor that houses the electrical service.

We're asking about the interior of the closet itself. If it's finished like the room,no GFCI needed; if open studs and bare concrete floor, GFCI indicated.

mortimer

third party inspector
Occupation
retired
No gfci protection is needed in a finished area of the basement. The 2020 will require gfci for all basement receptacles even in a finished area

Any prediction as to which code cycle will require all branch circuits to be
afci and
gfci protected:jawdrop::slaphead::thumbsdown::happysad::rant:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
They keep adding a little more each cycle to test the waters and as long as we don't go after them with an army of lawyers they figure they're OK. So I figure by 2023 unless we smarten up.

-Hal

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When does Jersey's AFCI amendment expire?

This are the NJ AFCI amendments to the 2017 NEC, all other rules apply.

Chapter 2:
ii. Section 210.12 (D), entitled "Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications - Dwelling Units," is deleted in its entirety.

Chapter 4:
i. Section 406.4 (D)(4), entitled "Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection," is deleted in its entirety.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Thank you. I see Jersey removes Old Work AFCI code entirely, but keeps most New Work AFCI code.

Since, 210.12(A) "Closets" requires an AFCI, is this finished basement "closet" considered a new work remodel?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thank you. I see Jersey removes Old Work AFCI code entirely, but keeps most New Work AFCI code.

Since, 210.12(A) "Closets" requires an AFCI, is this finished basement "closet" considered a new work remodel?

No it's existing and not under the 2017 which was adopted only a few weeks ago. Came up on an inspection report and someone asked me my opinion.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
No it's existing..
Only new home-runs trigger AFCI's in Jersey, even after adopting the 2017 NEC?

So, if 2014 replacement code 406.4(D)(3) & (5) apply to your finished basements bedroom, new plugs only need Tamper Resistance?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Only new home-runs trigger AFCI's in Jersey, even after adopting the 2017 NEC?

So, if 2014 replacement code 406.4(D)(3) & (5) apply to your finished basements bedroom, new plugs only need Tamper Resistance?

Yes extensions requiring AFCI protection are out. This is a bit of a tangent because the thread is about GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.