Exposed Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://imgur.com/BRV3ZEJ - photo of exposed wire
https://imgur.com/VUyFvP5 - colombia's use of nec

Hello fellow electricians,

I'm currently out on vacation in Colombia and don't have access to an NEC nor can I find direct links to code violations via google, so I was wondering if someone could help me out here on this forum. We recently checked out of a 4 day reservation through Airbnb immediately after arriving due to sights of roaches and the smell of gasoline. It just so happens that I snagged a pic of the electrical panel with exposed wires hanging out. I'm not entirely sure that the panel being directly adjacent to a shower on the same wall is a violation, but there are a few obvious violations in the pic. If anyone can give me direct references of violations in the NEC so I can bring them up in an email to Airbnb as this guy refuses to refund the 4 day reservation, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Having the panel on the same wall as a shower is not a violation, so long as the working space in front of the panel is maintained. Exposed wires certainly present a safety hazard, but I would be hard-pressed to cite a specific NEC article that this would violate.

Having the panel on the same wall as a shower is not a violation, so long as the working space in front of the panel is maintained. Exposed wires certainly present a safety hazard, but I would be hard-pressed to cite a specific NEC article that this would violate.

isn't there something about running wire/NM on a surface or protecting below 8ft?
Also is there anything that could be in violation of article 250?

Last edited:

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
https://imgur.com/BRV3ZEJ
https://imgur.com/VUyFvP5

I'm currently out on vacation in Colombia and don't have access to an NEC nor can I find direct links to code violations via google, so I was wondering if someone could help me out here on this forum. We recently checked out of a 4 day reservation through Airbnb immediately after arriving due to sights of roaches and the smell of gasoline. It just so happens that I snagged a pic of the electrical panel with exposed wires hanging out. I'm not entirely sure that the panel being directly adjacent to a shower on the same wall is a violation, but there are a few obvious violations in the pic. If anyone can give me direct references of violations in the NEC so I can bring them up in an email to Airbnb as this guy refuses to refund the 4 day reservation, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Does the NEC apply there?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Just because they have a 120/240/60Hz system doesn't mean that they abide by the NEC. Even if they did the government is so corrupt that you could do anything you wanted.

The fact that your last lodging was infested with roaches and smelled of gasoline and now you see this should tell you something. We do things differently here in the US, they are a 3rd world Country.

I really don't see the point of your question. You going to offer to fix it??

-Hal

Just because they have a 120/240/60Hz system doesn't mean that they abide by the NEC. Even if they did the government is so corrupt that you could do anything you wanted.

The fact that your last lodging was infested with roaches and smelled of gasoline and now you see this should tell you something. We do things differently here in the US, they are a 3rd world Country.

I really don't see the point of your question. You going to offer to fix it??

-Hal

The guy wont refund the money for the 4 day reservation despite us walking in the door and walking out. Looking for NEC references that I cant really obtain myself currently that would further support my claim in my email to Airbnb for a full refund, as well as citing the roaches and smell of gasoline.
Also in addition to Colombia being corrupt, it does seem like they do "follow" the NEC although just like you said no one building over here really complies with it.

Thank you,

MAC702

I've spent 6 months doing electrical work in Colombia. The particular place I was building was following the NEC but that's because we wanted to; not so much that it was going to be enforced by anyone.

I bring this up because I saw A LOT of typical Colombian installations during my travels there. I wouldn't have given what you saw a second thought unless there were REAL electrical concerns that were being caused by something. I also wouldn't call surface-stapled NM cables to be "exposed wires."

You may or may not have a legitimate beef with the reservation based on other concerns. It depends on the terms of your contract.

As for being a "3rd world country" I felt safer walking around Colombia, including Bogota, than I ever did in America's inner cities, especially if you just compare the two capital cities. And they had a public transportation bus system in Bogota better than most American cities, too.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Thank you,

NM is not required to be concealed. Take a look at 334.10(A)(1) and 334.15.

The install is ugly but arguably compliant.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
The guy wont refund the money for the 4 day reservation despite us walking in the door and walking out. Looking for NEC references that I cant really obtain myself currently that would further support my claim in my email to Airbnb for a full refund, as well as citing the roaches and smell of gasoline.

Don't waste your time. It won't matter if you quote NEC articles to Airbnb. You really think they will know what you are talking about or even care? I would just send that picture of a dangerous electrical panel and wiring along with your findings of roaches and the odor of gasoline and say those conditions made the accommodations unfit for habitation. Hopefully somebody in this Country will look at it because if it goes to Airbnb in Columbia they will just say "what's the problem?"- just like the guy who wouldn't refund your money when you were there. Damn Americans!

-Hal

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That’s not so bad. Ever been in “a widow maker”?
I was in Belize for a bit.
ladyville...
its a shower.
while you are showering you reach up in the stream to rinse, you can feel the tingle.
its 120V...

Attachments

• 2B383C9B-5E5F-4380-8F34-A682C2ACA58D.jpeg
    2B383C9B-5E5F-4380-8F34-A682C2ACA58D.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Don't waste your time. It won't matter if you quote NEC articles to Airbnb. You really think they will know what you are talking about or even care? I would just send that picture of a dangerous electrical panel and wiring along with your findings of roaches and the odor of gasoline and say those conditions made the accommodations unfit for habitation. Hopefully somebody in this Country will look at it because if it goes to Airbnb in Columbia they will just say "what's the problem?"- just like the guy who wouldn't refund your money when you were there. Damn Americans!

-Hal

Thanks Hal,

​​​​​​I sent in the email, threw in a couple of NEC references that might apply. I also threw in the improper use of grounding identification as I assume he's using a white wire for the grounding, which ultimately means he's running thhn to where ever the F*. But seriously thanks for all the tips and what not. Have a good one bud.

Thank you,

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design

Thank you,

A little late but to answer your original question The Colombian electrical code is called the "COLOMBIAN TECHNICAL STANDARD 2050" and unlike the USA it can be downloaded free here:
https://www.idrd.gov.co/sitio/idrd/sites/default/files/imagenes/ntc 20500.pdf
Its based on the NEC I believe the 1996 version, I am not sure there are any differences actually.
Recently we took a trip to Main and stayed in a airbnb.
It looked like a quaint old place online and was close to the beach. Turns out it reeked of gasoline and had some horrible looking wiring. The owner had converted part of an old garage to a rental unit, it was obvious he still stored his gas mower and lawn stuff in the other part of the garage. Gas and oil had probably leaked on a dirt floor for 80 years then someone probably just built a raised wood floor for the conversion. They swore they could not smell it. It was really overpowering, we left.

Status
Not open for further replies.