Two building shares same emergency generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

Can two buildings (separate owner - each building has its own utility xfmr) share same emergency generator but has its own ATS?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Interesting question. There are some requirements found in article 700 that would be harder to meet but not impossible in such a situation.

How do you propose to get the generator control wiring setup to monitor both locations?

The code does allow for a separate service to be used as an emergency source so I can't see why this would not be acceptable.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Can two buildings (separate owner - each building has its own utility xfmr) share same emergency generator but has its own ATS?

I've seen this a number of times where the owner is the same. It has always been my view that switched neutral ATSs should be used to avoid violating 250.24(5).
But the different owner situation, well, I'm not sure. I can't think of anything in NFPA 110 that would prohibit it though. It would seem there would have to be some kind of contractual agreement between the 2 owners that the AHJ would accept. Even if allowed one has to wonder if this would be a prudent practice to have the allowable occupancy of your building dependent on another party no matter how good the contract may be.

anbm

Interesting question. There are some requirements found in article 700 that would be harder to meet but not impossible in such a situation.

How do you propose to get the generator control wiring setup to monitor both locations?

Each building has its own ATS, so it doesn't matter, correct? The ATS will tell the generator what to do...

The code does allow for a separate service to be used as an emergency source so I can't see why this would not be acceptable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

as I understand it, the generator start controls have to be monitored to detect some failure there and start the generator. I am not sure how you would do that with two sets of such controls, but no doubt it can be done.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Would have to be something in either the lease for the building or the property deed describing what will happen to this arrangement should one party or the other sell out. Is there a legal way to include the contract in the deed or lease?

"In the event that either party sells out, the contractual agreement between parties shall remain in effect and be binding on the new owner."

Who can end the agreement? Either party just up and snips the wires from the generator??

Who pays the maintenance? And the fuel bill? Is the fuel an on-site tank, or a gas pipeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.