NEC 550.16 Confusing Wording Relating to Bonding in Manufactured Homes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

While this question relates to bonding, it is really about the wording of NEC 550.16 (C) 1-3, which is why I am posting under the NEC forum.

References:
550.16 (C) 1 says that a bonding conductor will be connected between the panel board and an accessible terminal on the chassis (of the manufactured home).
550.16 (C) 2 then discusses grounding terminals, by which I think they mean the means of connecting the bonding, not grounding, conductor(s) to the metal frame in that grounding conductors aren’t connected to the frame.
550.16 (C) 3 then says metallic piping and ducts shall be considered bonded if (among possible methods) if they are connected to THE terminal
(see 550.16.(C)1) by clamps, solderless connectors or grounding type straps.

Question:
By saying “connected to the terminal” and referencing 500.16 (C) 1, does it mean that the bonding conductor from the panel and the bonding from the metal pipes and ducts have to share a terminal? Or can the pipe/duct bonding conductor be clamped separately to the frame?

I have attached a photo of a clamp to attach bond conductor to frame.

Thank you.

Attachments

• photo22006.jpg
    photo22006.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Separate terminals or a terminal suitable for multiple conductors or terminations on a single bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.