Walkin cooler evaporator disco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walkin cooler evaporator disco

I have walkin cooler commericial whose evaporator is inside the cooler. The evaporator is hard wired to panelboard located in another room. I would need disconnect within sight of the evaporator I imagine correct me if I am wrong. I have never seen disconmect inside cooler but not sure what the code says . Should this disconnect be installed outside the cooler door or should it be installed inside right next to evaporator?

take a look at 430.102 (B) exception (a)
    Bob

Comment

We put the disconnect right on the side of the unit on the inside.
      Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Which code section would this be under 440 or 430?

Comment

Originally posted by hhsting View Post
          Which code section would this be under 440 or 430?
          No takers? I am pretty sure NEC 2014 Article 440 would be used for condensing unit 440.14 says disconnect can be inside refrigration equipment. On the other hand 430 just says disconnecting means can be within sight of motors does not mention has to be in cooler evaporators. For evaporators I am not sure which article would apply 440 or 430?

Comment

Originally posted by petersonra View Post
            take a look at 430.102 (B) exception (a)
            I have someone that claims that by mounting disconnect inside cooler it might cause hazards to the walls of freezer. Is this even legmit for exception NEC 2014 Article 430.102(B) exception (a)?

Comment

What kind of hazard?
              Rob

Comment

I have someone that claims that by mounting disconnect inside cooler it might cause hazards to the walls of freezer. Is this even legmit for exception NEC 2014 Article 430.102(B) exception (a)?
                Are they assuming a small panelbox screwed to the walls of the cooler (with a 1/4" space)? I'd assume the disconnect is a toggle switch in a 2x4 box mounted on the evaporator.

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                  We put the disconnect right on the side of the unit on the inside.
                  The ones I worked on had a KO where the fan conductors came out of the unit. I just mounted a box there with a switch in it. Never had anyone question it.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulMmn View Post

Are they assuming a small panelbox screwed to the walls of the cooler (with a 1/4" space)? I'd assume the disconnect is a toggle switch in a 2x4 box mounted on the evaporator.
                    I have asked what kind of hazard but have not gotten response yet. Its 208V single phase 30A non fuse disco according to plans.

Comment

What would the nema rating of disconnect be if they are inside walk in cooler or walk in freezer?

Comment

What would the nema rating of disconnect be if they are inside walk in cooler or walk in freezer?
                        I’ve seen inspectors call them anywhere from dry to wet. I think they are a nema 1.
                        I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.......

Comment

Originally posted by Awg-Dawg View Post

I’ve seen inspectors call them anywhere from dry to wet. I think they are a nema 1.
                          That's what I used, just standard handy box, s.p. switch, and cover. Never turned down.

Comment

The inside of the box should be no different than a garage or shed here in the north where it typically gets down near 0 degrees in the winter. Those locations require nothing special.
                            Rob

Comment

Would Nema 4 rating be sufficient for disconnects inside freezer or cooler evaporator?

Comment

Working...
                              X