exterior motion detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know what you think you mean by "grounded electrode"? There are grounding electrodes, and grounded conductors, but I have never heard of a grounded electrode before.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
is there an exterior motion detector that does not require a grounded electrode (neutral)?

Just an FYI, we are touchy here about terms. I think you mean grounded conductor IE a neutral in most systems.
I not sure if any are made that are powered trough the load as I think you are asking. I'm sure someone here will chime in.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
is there an exterior motion detector that does not require a grounded electrode (neutral)?

Only possible if you can find one made of only plastic.
But I’m assuming you meant equipment grounding conductor.

Last edited:

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Only possible if you can find one made of only plastic.
But I’m assuming you meant equipment grounding conductor.

My take on the OP was that he is referring to devices that use the load for power (such as some dimmers, etc) as opposed to needing a neutral for power.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't know how a motion detector would work without a neutral unless it was rated for 208 or 240 volts.

mortimer

third party inspector
Occupation
retired
Just an FYI, we are touchy here about terms. I think you mean grounded conductor IE a neutral in most systems.
I not sure if any are made that are powered trough the load as I think you are asking. I'm sure someone here will chime in.

Yes, I meant conductor:weeping:
So...one would need a 3 wire to the md?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, I meant conductor:weeping:
So...one would need a 3 wire to the md?

Is this controlling a remote light? If the feed is at the light then yes you would need a 3-wire cable between the light and the motion detector. Otherwise you could bring a 2-wire feed to the motion detector and then a 2-wire to the light.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In the same way older 120V solid state dimmers worked. They shunted a small amount of current to the ground.

Yes I remember that for dimmers and timers but I have never seen a 120 volt motion sensor that didn't have a white conductor for connection to the neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.