No announcement yet.

No more PDF verison of the NEC for sale from NFPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mail my wife gets from the NFPA equals the weight of the NEC. She joined 5 years ago to buy a bunch of code books for a class.
    list prive of nec is now $105.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

Comment

I'm not even a member and get a lot of junk mail from NFPA.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
        I'm not even a member and get a lot of junk mail from NFPA.
        I have a mail sorter so I don’t see much of it anymore. Another reason she still has a job.
        Tom
        TBLO

Comment

The NFPA said that only about 1% of their NEC sales were the PDF version, so they don't think that they are upsetting very many people. I think this move will increase piracy as there are already PDF versions available online. Those who want the PDF, now that the NFPA does not offer one, may be more likely to by the pirate version online.
          Don, Illinois
          (All code citations are 2017 unless otherwise noted)

Comment

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
            The NFPA said that only about 1% of their NEC sales were the PDF version, so they don't think that they are upsetting very many people. I think this move will increase piracy as there are already PDF versions available online. Those who want the PDF, now that the NFPA does not offer one, may be more likely to by the pirate version online.
            That was my point too at the beginning of this thread, their subscription nonsense will just force someone to pirate it and then sell it a make some money that the NFPA could be making. And how costly is it to offer a downloadable PDF version?
            Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Will this still be available on IHS?

Comment

Originally posted by pv_n00b View Post
                Starting with the 2020 NEC the NFPA will no longer be offering a PDF version. If you want an electronic version you will need to by an annual license for $200 and have an internet connection wherever you need to access the NEC. If you are an NFPA member and like the PDF version feel free to contact them and complain.
                Source?

Comment

Originally posted by MrJLH View Post

Source?
                  I don't think what the op said is quite true. As far as I can tell there is a $65 charge for the electronic access. You can buy the book and pay $14 for a one year access to the electronic version. So every year you would have to pay another $14 but this deal includes the book.

I don't see anything that states o join for $200
                  They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
                  She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
                  I can't help it if I'm lucky

Comment

We are on NEC 2014. When I bought the 2014 PDF, it came with the 2017 PDF. So I'm good for a few more years.

Hopefully NFPA will change their mind by the time Florida starts using NEC 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

I don't think what the op said is quite true. As far as I can tell there is a $65 charge for the electronic access. You can buy the book and pay $14 for a one year access to the electronic version. So every year you would have to pay another $14 but this deal includes the book.

Here's the link to the NFPA site. https://catalog.nfpa.org/NFPA-70-Nat...aspx?icid=W027

As long as you can use the digital version like you would a pdf (i.e. high-light, cut and paste sections) I guess that would be OK.. The down side is that you HAVE to have internet access to do this whereas, if you had the PDF version it's resident on your computer.

Comment

Well, we in California are still on the 2014, maybe next year we will go to 2017, so by the time we adopt the 2020 code it will be 2025 and I will be retired...
                        __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                        Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Just to give an update since I first posted. The NFPA dropped the price of the online access to the NEC to $65/yr. If you buy the print edition you can get your first year of online access for an additional $14. This is all on the NFPA website in their catalog.

I always loaded the PDF versions on an iPad that only has wifi and I rarely have internet access in the field so the online version is not usable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post

The $14 deal is just for the first year, after that it will be $65/yr or whatever they are charging then. When I first posted the NFPA catalog listed the online access at $199/yr, they have since lowered it to $65/yr.

Comment

It maybe 1 percent of sales but comprises much more of their subscription customer usage.

When your company has one book and subscription, the younger employees get stuck using the pdf. By getting rid of the pdf version they are alienating future customers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pv_n00b View Post
                                Just to give an update since I first posted. The NFPA dropped the price of the online access to the NEC to $65/yr. If you buy the print edition you can get your first year of online access for an additional $14. This is all on the NFPA website in their catalog.

I always loaded the PDF versions on an iPad that only has wifi and I rarely have internet access in the field so the online version is not usable to me.
                                My last electronic version I purchased was the 2014 E book. Don't remember the price but was close to same price as printed copy. Was a one time fee and the book was hosted by a third party site and AFAIK I will have access to it until that third party would happen to dissolve, just need a username and password for that third party site - Inkling is the name of that site. 2014 NEC is only book I have there but I think they host all sorts of E books. They did have better book navigation in that 2014 NEC than many PDF files typically have.

I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                                X