New Arc Fault Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
combination AFCIs ARE both AFCI and GFCI.

Not all combination-type AFCI have a ground fault sensing component in their circuitry. Those that do, tend to trip the circuit at 40 to 70 milliAmps ground fault current, but this trip level is not standardized or regulated. No simple combination-type AFCI can be considered as providing GFCI protection A combination-type AFCI must have the GFCI added to it, and be labeled as Dual Function to actually be said to have 5.0 milliAmp GFCI protective ability.

A GFCI trips at 5.0 milliAmps.

A GFEP trips at 30.0 milliAmps.

Last edited:

dkidd

Occupation
PE

Attachments

• chart.jpeg
    chart.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 2
  • chart.jpeg
    chart.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1
  • chart.jpeg
    chart.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1
  • chart.jpeg
    chart.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 0

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Oh and combination AFCIs ARE both AFCI and GFCI./QUOTE]

Others have kinda addressed it, but I believe that the "combination" supposedly detect and trip on SERIES or PARALLEL arcs. GFCI does not directly enter the picture. I THINK that modern dual function (or dual dysfunction?) units are both combination and GFCI.

horses

Comparing 210.12(C) with the list of areas / rooms in 210.12(A) is interesting. One also has to reference the Article 100 Definition of Guest Room and Guest Suite and Dwelling Unit.

As I read 210.12(C) I understand that AFCI is required throughout Guest Rooms and Guest Suites. including bathrooms and kitchen areas.

I note that a 210.12(A) Dwelling Unit is not all-inclusive in its list of AFCI-required areas, so a bathroom, garage, attic, unfinished areas, exterior, mechanical rooms, workshops and similar areas DON'T require AFCI. Note Horses, that a Dwelling Unit does require AFCI in the Kitchen.

Sorry for the late reply, but your reply was spot on! Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.