Just looking for some codes on these violations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addramyr

New User
Short storyline:
★ 120vac line in the kitchen of a senior citizens home tripped.
★ It was built within the last 12 years.
★ It's in a city of a North Eastern part of KS
★ I work on commercial dish machines.
★Nobody cold find the breaker that tripped.
★ I found a panel with a single 20A breaker deep in the cabinet directly below a sink. (A clearance issue)
★ It feeds a direct line to a ice machine, and a Romex line to a Non-GFCI outlet 3-inches under the sink, and 4inches to the left, in a wood cabinet under the sink.
★ The cabinet is locked to prevent the residents from getting into the highly dangerous dish machine chemicals. (Mainly sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide with a squeeze of polyacrylic acid to stabilize it)
★ The outlet next to the sink is a GFCI
★ There are no labels as to a lack of equipment grounding conductors on the GFCI's. (Just info...)
★ My dish machine was supposed to be directly ran to a 10A beaker.* *By a qualified electrician.

★the short was "my" dish machine. It is irrelevant to me question and has been fixed.

Question #1: how many violations are present with these facts? (It won't upload my pictures) :0(

Question #2: what are those codes?

Question #3: did this have to be inspected?? Who paid who off to let this float through?(I guess that's #4, although a bit rhetorical)

End statement:
Thank you all for your answers.
I just try my hardest, I really do. I'm no inspector. Please don't criticize my lack of knowledge, or the usage of parentheses. :0) I don't know all the sub-clauses underneath the top layer of violations that I do recognize, or the grandfathered in clauses behind them.
I'm just an old dork who reads work-related articles before bed.
Thank you again.
-James M H III

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My comments.

10 A breakers are not real common. Why would a manufacturer spec something that unusual. I find it hard to believe UL would list it that way and a dish machine is an appliance and thus required to be listed.

There are cases where a GFCI would not need an equipment grounding conductor by code, so that might not be a code violation. It should be labeled though. Could have fallen off over time.

g3guy

Hey old guy, this is an older guy.

If "your" machine was installed incorrectly, you need to inform the people in charge of wherever it is installed. Show them the installation instructions and point out the problems. Ask them if it was inspected. Maybe in your jurisdiction it didn't need to be inspected for whatever reason. Do you know what NEC year your area is under? This forum could "inspect" the installation down to the last detail of code violations but who knows if it applies in your area.

Try reading something non-work related before bed. It may take your mind off of the flow of un-documented finances in this country.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what you mean about "There are no labels as to a lack of equipment grounding conductors on the GFCI's. The wiring method (EMT, AC, MC) may provide the EGC.

Clearance issue on panel 110.16
Incorrect breaker installed 110.3(B)
Receptacle under sink may need to be GFCI depending when installed, 210.8

As to installation permits and inspections, that is dependent on your AHJ, state and local rules, we can't answer that on this forum

Status
Not open for further replies.