240.24(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have commericial muti-story building with multiple tenants in each floor. One of the tenants branch circuits are being fed from upstairs floor electrical room. Nec 2014 240.24(B) states that overcurrent protection must be readily accessible. Climbing upstairs floor to get to branch circuits would not be readily accessible. I told the person doing project that and I was told what about situation where you have residential three story townhouse and panelboard is located in garage? Does anyone have any idea any exception to residnetial or that would not be 240.24(B) compliant?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Accessible, Readily (Readily Accessible). Capable of being
reached quickly for operation, renewal, or inspections without
requiring those to whom ready access is requisite to take
actions such as to use tools (other than keys), to climb over or
under, to remove obstacles, or to resort to portable ladders,
and so forth.

I don't see how having to climb some stairs makes it not readily accessible.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I thought I knew what to say on this topic; I thought I knew the requirements. Then I made the mistake of reading the code, and now I am confused. ;)

There are two requirements at play. One is that the breakers themselves must be “readily accessible.” I agree with Bob, in that I don’t believe a staircase makes a breaker no longer readily accessible. That requirement is in 240.24(A).

The other requirement is in 240.24(B). It says each occupant must have “ready access” to overcurrent devices that serve loads in their space. I would not say that the two phrases “readily accessible” and “ready access” are synonymous. In other words, the breakers must be “readily accessible” to someone, but not necessarily to the tenant. So if the building’s maintenance crew can get to the breakers without removing an obstacle, but there is an obstacle that prevents the tenant from getting into that same area (OK, it’s hard to imaging such a situation, but let’s see where this goes), there is no code violation.

All that said, the tenant still needs access, and a locked electrical room might be an issue. 240.24(B)(2) allows the building management to be the only ones to whom the breakers are accessible, but ONLY for guest rooms and guest suites (that is the part that I remembered incorrectly, causing my confusion). So for this building, they have created a situation that requires the tenant to have a key to the electrical room. That is generally frowned upon.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
First off, do the tenant have access to the panels or is access only there is the other tenants are open for business. Certainly if there are no locks between where the tenants have to access their breakers then there isn't an issue. So is the panel in another tenants space that could be inaccessible or is it in a hall area where there is access at all times?

Status
Not open for further replies.