Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFPA 70E and 79

Hi all,

Are the NFPA 70E and 79 books mandatory in relation to an electrical install? I understand installs have to comply with the NEC 2017 (or now 2020, which I have just received my copy of) but as for the NFPA 70 books are these guys just there to expand on the code?

NFPA 70E and NFPA 79 are consensus standards where people adopt them more or less voluntarily. The NEC is intended to be adopted as a matter of law.
    Bob

Comment

Thank you Sir.

Comment

Something to consider, any ANSI sanctioned standard can be enforced by FedOSHA under its General Duty Clause as an industry's consensus of recognized hazards. In addition, FedOSHA is very active in the development of NFPA 70E.
        "Bob"
        Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
        Answers based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Comment

Originally posted by SparkyBaws View Post
          Hi all,

I understand installs have to comply with the NEC 2017 (or now 2020, which I have just received my copy of)
          Please change your profile to indicate the state and location which you operate. North America tells us nothing. Depending on where you are your understanding may not be correct. I can certainly say that the 2020 NEC is meaningless to you since states have to adopt it- if they want to. And that takes time. Quite possibly the 2017 hasn't even been adopted where you are.

So if we knew where you were we could be more specific with what code you need to follow. That's why we encourage all members to note their location in their profile.

-Hal
          Last edited by hbiss; 10-21-19, 02:01 PM.

Comment

More specifically, no states have yet to adopt the 2020 NEC and are unlikely to any time soon. Here in Calif. we are typically about 4 years behind, so we are already a bit overdue and I expect us to adopt the 2017 in the near future. So 2020 NEC... probably not until around 2024 or 2025.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NECInEffect10119.ashx?h=508&w=800&la=en&hash=18DB884F787DFD271F3CA2F8D8D3906A8A6FCE45.png
Views:	73
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	2540748

What I always say to people asking about "enforcement" of NFPA 70E is that there are no "NFPA 70E police" or inspectors (yet). OSHA simply says that all employers MUST have "a program for electrical safety" and uses NFPA 70E as a prime example of one. But you can "roll your own" if you like. If you do however, be prepared to defend it, at risk of your business, because if there is an accident and your self-determined program falls short of sufficient details, OSHA can shut you down immediately until they are satisfied. Or... you can just use NFPA 70E and point to it when they ask.

NFPA 79 is a standard that many large industrial machinery end users adhere to voluntarily as part of an electrical safety program as well, but more common is that if your facility uses industrial electrical machinery, your insurance carrier may require adherence to it as part of your industrial indemnity program. NFPA 79 is an evolution of earlier standards, mostly "JIC" (Joint Industrial Council) standards and practices for how industrial machinery was built, so that maintenance workers moving from one factory to another (beginning with the Automotive Industry during WWI) would be able to recognize and understand these standards and practices. Prior to that, a punch press at Ford may not have been wired the same as a punch press at GM or Chrysler, so it was a setup for mistakes to happen. The JIC set out to correct that (for more than just electrical as well). If you are doing something other than "industrial machinery", NFPA 79 may not apply.
            __________________________________________________ ____________________________
            Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Washington will adopt the 2020 NEC in July 2020 after a formal process with suggested changes and public hearings. 70E is not used as we have our own electrical safety standards. I dont see 79 being adopted here as we use UL508A and allow industrial mfgs to make their own control panels

You should look at how your state adopts the NEC.
              Moderator-Washington State
              Ancora Imparo

Comment

Working...
              X