NFPA 70E and 79

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyBaws

Hi all,

Are the NFPA 70E and 79 books mandatory in relation to an electrical install? I understand installs have to comply with the NEC 2017 (or now 2020, which I have just received my copy of) but as for the NFPA 70 books are these guys just there to expand on the code?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Something to consider, any ANSI sanctioned standard can be enforced by FedOSHA under its General Duty Clause as an industry's consensus of recognized hazards. In addition, FedOSHA is very active in the development of NFPA 70E.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Hi all,

I understand installs have to comply with the NEC 2017 (or now 2020, which I have just received my copy of)

Please change your profile to indicate the state and location which you operate. North America tells us nothing. Depending on where you are your understanding may not be correct. I can certainly say that the 2020 NEC is meaningless to you since states have to adopt it- if they want to. And that takes time. Quite possibly the 2017 hasn't even been adopted where you are.

So if we knew where you were we could be more specific with what code you need to follow. That's why we encourage all members to note their location in their profile.

-Hal

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Washington will adopt the 2020 NEC in July 2020 after a formal process with suggested changes and public hearings. 70E is not used as we have our own electrical safety standards. I dont see 79 being adopted here as we use UL508A and allow industrial mfgs to make their own control panels

You should look at how your state adopts the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.