OCPD for sump pump controller with 2 pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

Is a branch circuit OCPD for two pumps (fed through a controller) sized differently depending on whether the pumps start at the same time or not? Because I can’t find this requirement in 430.53.

For instance, if you have two sump pumps that do not start at the same time that are 208V, 3 phase, 1 HP (4.6 FLC), the OCPD should be sized 2.5 x 4.6 = 15 AMP OCPD + 4.6 amps = 15 AMP OPCD (round down). If they start at the same time I would think the OCPD would be 4.6x2 = 9.2 amps x 2.5 = 23 amps = 20 amps OCPD.

Thoughts?

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
Is a branch circuit OCPD for two pumps (fed through a controller) sized differently depending on whether the pumps start at the same time or not? Because I can’t find this requirement in 430.53.

For instance, if you have two sump pumps that do not start at the same time that are 208V, 3 phase, 1 HP (4.6 FLC), the OCPD should be sized 2.5 x 4.6 = 15 AMP OCPD + 4.6 amps = 15 AMP OPCD (round down). If they start at the same time I would think the OCPD would be 4.6x2 = 9.2 amps x 2.5 = 23 amps = 20 amps OCPD.

Thoughts?

What does the data sheet / name plate for the pump controller call for? 15A or 20A?

If you're designing the control panel, you pretty much get to pick.

Does it really matter? The cost difference between #14 and #12 wire is negligible. Run #12 wire, and install the desired breaker later if you can't call it out on a drawing right now.

SceneryDriver

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

Thoughts?

430.53(A) says that the branch circuit shall not be over 15A.

Status
Not open for further replies.