Custom receptacle strip under counter - listing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

NEC 2014
Faced with an application where a custom receptacle strip is needed under a counter. Permanent installation with ch3 wiring method. In an ideal world the fabricator could place receptacle cutouts in the right places in the frame of this thing (which is fully enclosed 14ga steel), the receptacles could be installed from behind, and conduit could enter from one end. But that would be a raceway that needs to be listed right? Looking for a workaround, off the shelf wiremold type products dont work for the application. Does a cover need to be listed? If the receptacles were installed in boxes behind the face with the receptacles protruding through their cutouts, then the face of this frame would become a cover plate.....

I appreciate any suggestions

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Some months ago, I posted a photo of the SABC receptacles that were installed during a kitchen remodel that was finished last February. I looked, but have not yet found a copy of that photo at my work location. There are five sections of triangular-shaped metal enclosures, about 2 inches on a side, with the outlets on the "hypotenuse" side and the other two sides installed against the underside of the cabinet and against the back wall. All wiring is internal to the enclosure. The length of each section varies with its location (i.e., left and right of sink, left and right of range, and bar area). All kitchen walls had the drywall removed, and the electrician hard wired the outlets using Romex (I think that is the right term). I don't know if this helps. If I find that other thread, I will post a link. I believe I included the make and model of the outlet strips.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
NEC 2014
Faced with an application where a custom receptacle strip is needed under a counter. Permanent installation with ch3 wiring method. In an ideal world the fabricator could place receptacle cutouts in the right places in the frame of this thing (which is fully enclosed 14ga steel), the receptacles could be installed from behind, and conduit could enter from one end. But that would be a raceway that needs to be listed right? Looking for a workaround, off the shelf wiremold type products dont work for the application. Does a cover need to be listed? If the receptacles were installed in boxes behind the face with the receptacles protruding through their cutouts, then the face of this frame would become a cover plate.....

I appreciate any suggestions

Cant they just weld metal boxes behind the receptacle cutout? They could be interconnected with a raceway like FMC. This is how commercial kitchen equipment is set up. Don't ask me how they got this listed with the number of conductors in the boxes. :?

Attachments

• 20131111_081354 (1).jpg
    20131111_081354 (1).jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0

Todd0x1

Thank you everyone for the product suggestions. Unfortunately this project does not lend itself to an off the shelf solution, the spacing between devices varies and has to be exact and the cover along its length has to be seamless (and the width is odd and has to be precise to match its mounting surface).

You can use an enclosed channel as a raceway, like is done with store-front window framing.

Can devices be mounted in such an enclosed channel, or would it then have to be listed?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can you install listed boxes behind the custom channel and connect them with a listed raceway or cable? If so then you don't need to worry about the channel.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Thank you everyone for the product suggestions. Unfortunately this project does not lend itself to an off the shelf solution, the spacing between devices varies and has to be exact and the cover along its length has to be seamless (and the width is odd and has to be precise to match its mounting surface).

Can devices be mounted in such an enclosed channel, or would it then have to be listed?

AGAIN! Pictures or we have no idea what you are talking about!

-Hal

Todd0x1

Can you install listed boxes behind the custom channel and connect them with a listed raceway or cable? If so then you don't need to worry about the channel.

Yes, that was the plan B which is why I was asking if covers have to be listed

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, that was the plan B which is why I was asking if covers have to be listed

They do not because you're installing the receptacles in listed metal boxes with a listed wiring method. Now if you want to pull individual conductors in the custom channel then it's being used as a raceway and a listing would be required.

Status
Not open for further replies.