capacity for new load

Status
Not open for further replies.

art

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi all,

I have a maintenance station and we're proposing adding a wash rack. what do I ask for from the utility to document the existing load? if we go with measuring the load over 30 days, what kind of meter do we use? and, can we turn on the usual loads used and clamp on to the incoming feeders?

Hi all,

I have a maintenance station and we're proposing adding a wash rack. what do I ask for from the utility to document the existing load? if we go with measuring the load over 30 days, what kind of meter do we use? and, can we turn on the usual loads used and clamp on to the incoming feeders?

See 220.87. you can ask the utility for their max demand data is usually the best way. A power logger is quite expensive, probably 3k to start. I know fluke makes them and there are others.

kwired

Electron manager
If they have smart meters, they likely already have demand data available. A convenience with having that data already available is if there is different peak demand at different times of year, you don't have to wait until that time of year to make measurements.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Keep in mind, for this is a common mistake, that you need max demand in units of power (i.e. kW), and not usage in units of energy (i.e., kW-Hr).

Status
Not open for further replies.