When does an island require more than one receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

OK, so we know that 210.52(B) covers the small appliance receptacle requirements. 210.52(C) breaks down counter space into wall and work surfaces, islands, peninsular & separate spaces, however there seems to be 2 camps when it comes time for islands and peninsulas.

Camp 1 - 210.52(C)(2) only requires 1 receptacle...period. Well, unless there is a sink/stovetop/etc that has less than 12" of counterspace behind it, then it becomes 2 separate spaces per 210.52(C)(4)

Camp 2 - 210.52(C)(2) just says that one is a minimum but the 24" requirement to the left and right of the sink applies along with spaces behind the sink greater than 12" so you may have several receptacles required.

Thoughts?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I agree with the Camp 1 description. I do not understand the Camp 2 description. So let me offer a few thoughts.

1. If you have an island with a sink in the middle and 18 inches of countertop space behind the sink, then you have only one "island countertop space," and only one receptacle is required. More would be better, but the code only requires one.

2. If you have an island with a sink in the middle and 9 inches of countertop space behind the sink, then you have two "island countertop spaces," and at least one receptacle is required in each space.

3. Now consider an island with a sink 24 inches from the left edge, 9 inches of countertop space behind the sink, and 6 feet of additional island countertop space to the right of the sink. I have seen some interpretations that the right side of the sink has three areas that are each 24 inches wide, and therefore three receptacles are required to the right side of the sink. I believe that to be nonsense. The code language follows the pattern of, "if it is this big, you need at least one." It does not say, "you need one for every section that is 24 inches wide."

So does the third paragraph address what your Camp 2 description is trying to convey?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
We are dealing with two slightly different animals here. There is a rule that a countertop space at least 24 inches wide needs at least one receptacle, and could need more receptacles to ensure no point along the wall is more than 24 inches from a receptacle. This rule allows receptacles (along a wall countertop space) to be up to 48 inches apart, so that the point in the middle is no more than 24 inches from a receptacle on either side. Dennis is right is saying that rule does not apply to islands or peninsulas.

But I have heard an argument from a completely different vantage point. The argument states that you need a receptacle every 24 inches along the width of an island or a peninsula. In other words, if you have an island 6 feet wide with flat surface all the way (i.e., no sink or other item in the middle), this “camp” would say you need three receptacles, one for each 24” wide section. That, as I said before, is nonsense.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Countertops that sit on top of base cabinets next to walls have a mostly standard depth of about 25 inches, but they can have any width. Islands and peninsulas can have any depth and any width. For the sake of discussion, let's deal with islands and peninsulas that are at least 12" deep, and talk only about width.
* 210.52(C)(1) establishes requirements for wall countertop spaces. Any that are 24" or wider require a receptacle, and receptacles must not be more than 48" apart in the same wall countertop space.

* 210.52(C)(2) and (3) establish requirements for island and peninsula countertop spaces. Any island and peninsula countertop spaces that are 24" or wider require one receptacle, and not more than one.

* 210.52(C)(4) tells us whether a countertop space (of any description) counts as only one space or as two spaces.

* Typically when you install a sink in the middle of a wall countertop space, there is no more than an inch or two of countertop in front of or behind the sink. You can't expect the homeowner to run an extension cord behind the sink to power an appliance on one side from a receptacle on the other side. For ranges and fridges in the middle countertop spaces, there is no countertop space whatsoever in front of or behind the appliance. So the countertop spaces on either side of a sink, range, or fridge are treated as separate, and the 24" rule applies separately to both sides.

* On the other hand, an island or a peninsula can have enough room behind (not likely to be in front) of a sink or cooktop for the homeowner to safely run an appliance cord or extension cord from an appliance on one side to a receptacle on the other side. That is why we don't need a second receptacle if the space behind the sink is more than 12" wide. Here again, it would be helpful to the homeowner in such an instance to have separate receptacles on both sides of a sink or cooktop. It's just not a code requirement.

That is why 210.52(C)(4) mentions islands.

jimmyglen

Countertops that sit on top of base cabinets next to walls have a mostly standard depth of about 25 inches, but they can have any width. Islands and peninsulas can have any depth and any width. For the sake of discussion, let's deal with islands and peninsulas that are at least 12" deep, and talk only about width.
* 210.52(C)(1) establishes requirements for wall countertop spaces. Any that are 24" or wider require a receptacle, and receptacles must not be more than 48" apart in the same wall countertop space.

* 210.52(C)(2) and (3) establish requirements for island and peninsula countertop spaces. Any island and peninsula countertop spaces that are 24" or wider require one receptacle, and not more than one.

* 210.52(C)(4) tells us whether a countertop space (of any description) counts as only one space or as two spaces.

* Typically when you install a sink in the middle of a wall countertop space, there is no more than an inch or two of countertop in front of or behind the sink. You can't expect the homeowner to run an extension cord behind the sink to power an appliance on one side from a receptacle on the other side. For ranges and fridges in the middle countertop spaces, there is no countertop space whatsoever in front of or behind the appliance. So the countertop spaces on either side of a sink, range, or fridge are treated as separate, and the 24" rule applies separately to both sides.

* On the other hand, an island or a peninsula can have enough room behind (not likely to be in front) of a sink or cooktop for the homeowner to safely run an appliance cord or extension cord from an appliance on one side to a receptacle on the other side. That is why we don't need a second receptacle if the space behind the sink is more than 12" wide. Here again, it would be helpful to the homeowner in such an instance to have separate receptacles on both sides of a sink or cooktop. It's just not a code requirement.

That is why 210.52(C)(4) mentions islands.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Jimmyglen, you appear to have inadvertently posted before finishing your comment. I repaired the quotation. Please edit the post to provide your comment. If you prefer to have me delete your post and this comment of mine, so that you can start over, just go ahead and post your comment. When I see it, I will delete the two extraneous comments (one of yours, one of mine).

Status
Not open for further replies.