Transfer Switch feeder length limitation

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

I will be installing a Reliance Controls 10-Circuit 30 Amp Manual Transfer Switch Kit for a customer. This is the style with integrated breakers and line/off/gen switches for transferring power to individual circuits. Generator output is 7000 Watts. Customer would like to have the generator receptacle about 50' from where the transfer switch panel will be located. In the deep dark recesses of my brain, I seem to recall an AHJ once telling me that my outside mounted receptacle for the generator had to be within 10' of my service disconnecting means. I've been digging through the code book, but have come up empty. Any thoughts?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you asking about the distance between the generator inlet and the reliance control transfer panel? How does these work on generator power, do they bypass the AFCI protection provided by the branch circuit breakers in the house panel?

ron

The generator feeder and inlet receptacle is a feeder and not a service, so it isn't bound by any Article 230 related distances. Since it is an outside feeder, you are bound by Article 225, and thus 225.32 for the location of the feeder disconnecting means (which brings a 230.6 reference into it). Most AHJ's would consider the breaker on the generator to be the feeder disconnect located outside if it were readily accessible.

A 30A Reliance switch box is a little light for a 7kW gen, wouldn't you want to go to a 50A? Or does the 7kW gen only have a 30A 120/240V receptacle out?

csoc64

Are you asking about the distance between the generator inlet and the reliance control transfer panel? How does these work on generator power, do they bypass the AFCI protection provided by the branch circuit breakers in the house panel?

Yes, I am talking about the distance between the generator inlet and the transfer panel. Branch circuit breakers in house panel are not AFCI protected. Installed prior to AFCI requirement.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, I am talking about the distance between the generator inlet and the transfer panel. Branch circuit breakers in house panel are not AFCI protected. Installed prior to AFCI requirement.

I know of no maximum distance between the inlet and the panel in the NEC. I've installed them up to 75' away.

csoc64

The generator feeder and inlet receptacle is a feeder and not a service, so it isn't bound by any Article 230 related distances. Since it is an outside feeder, you are bound by Article 225, and thus 225.32 for the location of the feeder disconnecting means (which brings a 230.6 reference into it). Most AHJ's would consider the breaker on the generator to be the feeder disconnect located outside if it were readily accessible.

A 30A Reliance switch box is a little light for a 7kW gen, wouldn't you want to go to a 50A? Or does the 7kW gen only have a 30A 120/240V receptacle out?

Yes, limited to 30A 120/240V outlet.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
There is no NEC code that I know of limiting the amount of service or in your case feeder conductors that are on the exterior of a building.
I dont know what state you project is in so there may be a local code that limits it.

Status
Not open for further replies.