Working Space vs Dedicated Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Sadofsky

110.26(A)(3) Height of Working Space - verses - 110.26(E)(1)(b) Dedicated Equipment Space. Let me start off by saying I realize one section is for working space and the other is dedicated space. 110.26(E)(1)(b) Foreign Systems are permitted if protection is provided….This seems to conflicting with 110.26(A)(3). Here is the question finally. We have some fire alarm above a panelboard. For the purpose of this question it’s a 4” square box that may have a device. If it’s a violation we will blank it off…but even if blanked off is it still a violation of 110.26(E)(1)(b) that does not mention foreign systems? Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Fire alarm equipment may be considered by some to be electrical equipment and therefore not prohibited in the dedicated space. Others may say it is a foreign system and not allow it.

I don't believe code makes any distinction other than the fact there is a code section on fire alarms which is probably why many will call it electrical equipment.

Sprinkler however is not so likely to be considered electrical equipment (sure would think anyway).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Let's be clear on one point:
110.26(E)(1)(b) Foreign Systems are permitted if protection is provided.
There can be no foreign equipment for the first six feet above the top of a panelboard. If it is more six feet above the top, and has drip protection, then it can be there. But it can't be within the first six feet above the top. Also, this rule applies to the area directly above the panelboard itself, not the area above the working clearance space. If you are standing in front of the panelboard, within the working clearance, there can be foreign equipment, including pipes and ducts, over your head, as long as they are at least 2 meters above the floor.

Regarding your specific question, the rule prohibits "equipment foreign to the electrical installation" from being within the dedicated space. My opinion is that components of a fire alarm system, despite having electricity running through them, are still "foreign to the electrical installation." Furthermore, I believe that "blanking it off" will not resolve a violation. A better solution is to move the FA components, so that they are not directly above the panelboard. Move them left, or right, or (using unistrut) further away from the wall then the front of the panelboard.

kwired

Electron manager
Let's be clear on one point: There can be no foreign equipment for the first six feet above the top of a panelboard. If it is more six feet above the top, and has drip protection, then it can be there. But it can't be within the first six feet above the top. Also, this rule applies to the area directly above the panelboard itself, not the area above the working clearance space. If you are standing in front of the panelboard, within the working clearance, there can be foreign equipment, including pipes and ducts, over your head, as long as they are at least 2 meters above the floor.

Regarding your specific question, the rule prohibits "equipment foreign to the electrical installation" from being within the dedicated space. My opinion is that components of a fire alarm system, despite having electricity running through them, are still "foreign to the electrical installation." Furthermore, I believe that "blanking it off" will not resolve a violation. A better solution is to move the FA components, so that they are not directly above the panelboard. Move them left, or right, or (using unistrut) further away from the wall then the front of the panelboard.

I pretty much agree that fire alarm is a foreign system, but can see it being interpreted either way.

That said moving an item out of the dedicated space means moving the item, any supporting methods and any other associated items out of the dedicated space.

Status
Not open for further replies.