Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Main service disconnect

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Main service disconnect

    I have 800A main service disconnect with 800A fuses. Question does the ground bus in 800A main service disconnect already bonded to the service disco can by the manufacturer or do we have to provide separate bonding screw to bond ground bus bar to the service disconnect can? If we provide bonding screw then code says has to be UL listed for bonding?

    #2
    If this disconnect is rated for use as a service disconnecting means it has to have instructions on how to use it as such. According to UL.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by hhsting View Post
      I have 800A main service disconnect with 800A fuses. Question does the ground bus in 800A main service disconnect already bonded to the service disco can by the manufacturer or do we have to provide separate bonding screw to bond ground bus bar to the service disconnect can? If we provide bonding screw then code says has to be UL listed for bonding?
      This question is hard to understand the way it is presented.

      Are you asking "If" the ground buss is already bonded to the enclosure by the manufacturer do you have to provide a separate bonding screw in addition to that?
      and,
      If so, does the screw you provide have to be UL listed for bonding?

      My answer would be, if the Ground buss is already bonded to the enclosure by the manufacturer, there would be no need for any additional bonding by means of an additional screw.

      But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

      JAP>

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by jap View Post

        This question is hard to understand the way it is presented.

        Are you asking "If" the ground buss is already bonded to the enclosure by the manufacturer do you have to provide a separate bonding screw in addition to that?
        and,
        If so, does the screw you provide have to be UL listed for bonding?

        My answer would be, if the Ground buss is already bonded to the enclosure by the manufacturer, there would be no need for any additional bonding by means of an additional screw.

        But maybe I'm misunderstanding.

        JAP>
        Its not about adding additional screw. Does the main service disco come with ground bus bonded to the can from manufacturer all the time or main service disco does not come with screw bonded to the can and we have to provide bonding screw to bond the ground bus to the main service disco can?

        Comment


          #5
          If it's suitable for use as a service disco, the enclosure needs to be bonded to the neutral. If it's suitable ONLY as a service disco, the bond will be permanent.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

          Comment


            #6
            Your electrician should know this, or can find out when he sees the gear.
            [COLOR=navy]If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time![/COLOR]

            Comment


              #7
              If this is a typical fusible safety switch it won't come with a neutral bar at all. It usually is an optional part you order as not all situations require a neutral bar. If you are using the switch as service equipment you order the correct neutral kit and bonding kit to be installed in the field.

              Comment


                #8
                I have neutral bar and ground bar in 800A fused service disco. The neutral bar is bonded to ground bar with wire. Now question is does ground bar need to have bonding screw to bond to service can or ground bus bar comes bonded to service can from manufacturer factory?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by hhsting View Post
                  I have neutral bar and ground bar in 800A fused service disco. The neutral bar is bonded to ground bar with wire. Now question is does ground bar need to have bonding screw to bond to service can or ground bus bar comes bonded to service can from manufacturer factory?
                  No takers? No one knows above question?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Not sure what you're asking. The jumper between neutral and ground may be a wire. Ground bus to can may be mounting screws, as long as they;re threaded bolts and not sheet-metal screws.
                    Master Electrician
                    Electrical Contractor
                    Richmond, VA

                    Comment


                      #11
                      OP can't not seem to understand answers given and as a reviewer for an AHJ should be able to ask the question so that it is understood, with that said I am closing this thread.

                      Roger
                      Moderator

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X