Wiring flexible extension cords directly into breaker box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcjjj

New User
Does the NEC and/or OSHA permit cutting off the male end of an extension cord ( or using cable) and wiring directly into a breaker panel on a construction site? Would this be classified as a branch conductor as it is hard wired, and as OSHA does not allow branch circuit conductors to be laid on the floor, 1926.405(a)(2)(ii)(B) is this practice permissible

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I can't speak to OSHA requirements. But the NEC requires wiring to be installed using one of several "approved" methods. What you described is not one of those methods. So my answer would be "no." But let others chime in, before you take any action. I am not very familiar with what happens at construction sites.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Does the NEC and/or OSHA permit cutting off the male end of an extension cord ( or using cable) and wiring directly into a breaker panel on a construction site? Would this be classified as a branch conductor as it is hard wired, and as OSHA does not allow branch circuit conductors to be laid on the floor, 1926.405(a)(2)(ii)(B) is this practice permissible

You see it done but it's not permitted. The NEC wants to see receptacles and GFCI protection. OSHA is concerned about GFCI protection especially.

-Hal

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

NEC 590.4(C) permits cords or cables for branch circuits in Temporary Installations. The cord or cable must of the type listed for hard usage or extra-hard usage in Table 400.4. (I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether cutting the end of an extension cord would meet those requirements.)

590.4(H) requires that cords and cables be protected from damage, so I don't think just laying them on the floor would be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.