Spacing CT meter 1/4” off surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Job in central Florida..... inspector told our job foreman the CT meter can has to be 1/4” off finished surface of the building “for heat dissipation”; when asked for a code reference, inspector said “article 314”.....

Anyway, I’ve never seen that. Anyone aware of this code for any sort of meter base?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
See 312.2. In damp or wet locations, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 6-mm (1⁄4-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface.

Most 3R boxes have little dimples around the mounting holes which provide this 1/4" standoff. I used some washers between a meter can and a brick wall because the bricks weren't even so just bolting it to the bricks had 1/4" clearance from some and it was touching others. The washers made it 1/4" or more from all.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Article 314 is the incorrect article (Suemarkp gave you the correct Article and section) and the NEC requirement has nothing to do with heat dissipation. Inspector 0 for 2.

kwired

Electron manager
inspector was right but has no idea why it is required as well as the wrong code for the requiement.

That space is to help with corrosion resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.