Grounding Crimp Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

DENN M.

I just had an inspector call me on "not using crimp connectors to pigtail ground wires in plastic boxes." As I've always understood, the only reason to use them would be if you were to exceed the wire fill capacity of the box. However, even our single gang boxes are 20 cu. in. This guy claims that the crimp connectors are required by code for plastic boxes. I can't find anything to support what he is claiming........? Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Is the inspector required to cite code articles on his inspection reports in your area? Or are you in a place where they can just make it up as they go?

DENN M.

Is the inspector required to cite code articles on his inspection reports in your area? Or are you in a place where they can just make it up as they go?
No, I'm in Southern California. They are expected to enforce the NEC. Is there something I'm missing that could support his interpretation?

kwired

Electron manager
No, I'm in Southern California. They are expected to enforce the NEC. Is there something I'm missing that could support his interpretation?

Ask him for code section that specifies what he is asking for, it doesn't exist in non amended NEC. You have many products/options that are legal ways to make up the connection you are talking about.

When it comes to box fill, all grounds count as one conductor, they count as the largest one if there is more than one size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inspector is either citing a local code or making one up. Either way he's wrong if you're to follow the NEC. I hate crimps on the EGC's. Although a standard wire nut is fine I prefer using Greenies.

DENN M.

Thanks guys. I always try to give the inspector the benefit of the doubt before I argue with him. I was pretty sure I had this one right. Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've met inspectors and instructors who were confused by the wording "pressure type connectors," thinking it meant crimp sleeves rather than wire nuts

Aren't all connectors pressure type connectors? A non-pressure type would be solder.

DENN M.

I've met inspectors and instructors who were confused by the wording "pressure type connectors," thinking it meant crimp sleeves rather than wire nuts
Can you tell me which code section I can find that reference?

DENN M.

Aren't all connectors pressure type connectors? A non-pressure type would be solder.
That should be true. According to Article 100 that is basically the definition of pressure connectors. Solderless.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
That should be true. According to Article 100 that is basically the definition of pressure connectors. Solderless.

I think the inspector is confusing pressure connector with irreversible. They are not the same.
In many areas it is just customary to use crimp sleeves for EGC leading many to think this is a code requirement.

kwired

Electron manager
I think the inspector is confusing pressure connector with irreversible. They are not the same.
In many areas it is just customary to use crimp sleeves for EGC leading many to think this is a code requirement.

Maybe, however typical crimp sleeve isn't entirely irreversible IMO. You can get many of them off however you will destroy it in the process and won't be reusing the same sleeve.

In my book irreversible is mostly hypress type connection or exothermic welding.

DENN M.

Maybe, however typical crimp sleeve isn't entirely irreversible IMO. You can get many of them off however you will destroy it in the process and won't be reusing the same sleeve.

In my book irreversible is mostly hypress type connection or exothermic welding.
Can you direct me to the code section you think he might be looking at?

kwired

Electron manager
Can you direct me to the code section you think he might be looking at?

250.148(A):

[h=3](A) Connections.[/h]
Connections and splices shall be made in accordance with 110.14(B) except that insulation shall not be required.

And it's reference to 110.14(B).

But have no idea what your inspector is interpreting in there that would mean it must use a crimped connection.

Only other thing that he may be confusing is some irreversible connection requirements that apply to grounding electrode conductors and not to equipment grounding conductors here.

DENN M.

250.148(A):

And it's reference to 110.14(B).

But have no idea what your inspector is interpreting in there that would mean it must use a crimped connection.

Only other thing that he may be confusing is some irreversible connection requirements that apply to grounding electrode conductors and not to equipment grounding conductors here.
I think it's the reference to 250.8(A) Permitted Methods
But wouldn't wire nuts be "listed pressure connectors?"
They don't have to be listed specifically to use on EGC's, right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I think it's the reference to 250.8(A) Permitted Methods
But wouldn't wire nuts be "listed pressure connectors?"
They don't have to be listed specifically to use on EGC's, right?

That's correct you can use a regular old wire nut on the EGC splice.

Status
Not open for further replies.