GFCI's on ice machines

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ones that we have in our hospital are either stand alone ice machines or the ones that sit on top of the soda machines. The reason I ask, one of the other hospitals in our system just got hit for not having the ice machines plugged into a GFCI receptacle. I could not see anywhere in NEC or NFPA 99 that justified their finding. Any thoughts on this?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The ones that we have in our hospital are either stand alone ice machines or the ones that sit on top of the soda machines. The reason I ask, one of the other hospitals in our system just got hit for not having the ice machines plugged into a GFCI receptacle. I could not see anywhere in NEC or NFPA 99 that justified their finding. Any thoughts on this?

Not unless the ice machine is within 6' of a sink or in a commercial kitchen. Who "hit" the other hospital, electrical inspector, OHSA, ?

We have a "Joint Commission" inspection every three years. They come around and evaluate everything from our building to our medical records. The inspector cited NFPA 99 ch 6 and 9 for the violation and I dug through those chapters and did not see anything that referenced the violation specifically except that ch 6 states that we need to meet the NFPA 70 standards. You might be on to something with the 6' from a sink rule though. I'll try to see if that was the condition that their ice machine was in. We are expecting our inspection in the next few months so I am just trying to prep for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.