Bathtub receptacle for TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
I know I've seen something about this in the past but at this time I can't find it. I have an Interior Designer who has put me on notice that in a week or so he will be calling me to install an outlet in a bathroom for the the flat panel TV he wants installed over the whirlpool tub. I'm sure he will not want to have any cords showing so the receptacle would be behind the TV which I think would be a violation of Article 406.8 (B) (c). I have not seen the configuration of this space yet.

I would like to know how others have done a similar installation.:rolleyes:

Thanks

iwire

Staff member
Show them 406.8(B)(c) and let them figure it out?

No one could convince me to put an receptacle outlet in the tub space.

Occupation
Inspector
iwire said:
Show them 406.8(B)(c) and let them figure it out?

No one could convince me to put an receptacle outlet in the tub space.

This is what I was looking for, ammunition so when I tell them I WILL NOT it is not only me but CODE.

I had a call from a contractor yesterday about the same thing. He was told by the architect that the receptacle is located behind the flat screen, therefore would not be a problem. I told him to tell the architect the same code section, and I am sure the arhitect will call. ;)

This type of question comes up about 2 times a month here, people want to watch tv all day.;-)

iwire

Staff member
Some manufacturer should get smart and make a hardwired TV for this application that mounts in an vapor proof enclosure in the wall with access from the back only.

The backside could look like a ventilated panel cover.

Bob
Your post gave me an idea. A lot of architects want to pass the cord throught the wall into a closet and plug into a receptacle there.

Why not install the plasma in such a way as to have the front flush with the wall of the tub enclosure and the back of the plasma open so the cord can be installed to a receptacle in the closet and the cord is not passing through the wall???

iwire

Staff member
Pierre C Belarge said:
Why not install the plasma in such a way as to have the front flush with the wall of the tub enclosure and the back of the plasma open so the cord can be installed to a receptacle in the closet and the cord is not passing through the wall???

That is the direction I am thinking.:cool:

Ideally the back side would be a closet, if not make the backside semi flush and it could look somewhat like an electrical panel in the wall.

Hang a mirror or picture over it to hide it.

I really believe we will see something for this use soon.

Heck someday people might be posting to this forum while sitting naked in their Jaquzzi.....there a visual for ya. :D

celtic

iwire said:
T

Heck someday people might be posting to this forum while sitting naked in their Jaquzzi.....there a visual for ya. :D

ummm...I already do that
sporty.gif

dlhoule

buck33k said:
Heck someday people might be posting to this forum while sitting naked in their Jaquzzi.....there a visual for ya.

Or even worse, sitting on the throne.

Why do you care where I am sitting or how I am dressed?

5Spot

Pierre C Belarge said:
Bob
Your post gave me an idea. A lot of architects want to pass the cord throught the wall into a closet and plug into a receptacle there.

You might run into problems with 400.8(2)

FYI
A lot of the newer, small, flat panel TV's under 20" have a brick power adapter just like your laptop.
In order to have a clean install on the wall the power cord gets routed thru the wall into a closet.

I saw an install by Circuit city, master bedroom, where they cut a hole into the wall to bury the brick and excess cable, then put a blank 3 gang plate over the hole. the power outlet and Cable outlet was behind the tv. It was a nasty looking install. but the customer didn't think so.

Occupation
Inspector
I have been in touch with the designer and this is the drawing he has. I would like to get some more opinions as to if I could install a receptacle for this TV above the "deck" portion and still not violate Article 406.8 (B)(c).

macmikeman

Without some sort of plexiglass or glass barrier between the screen and the tub side, I would think it would be a pretty good idea to have gfi protection for that tv thats plugged inside the closet. Remote control or not they still have on/off buttons on the front of the unit.

Jim W in Tampa

No way would i install this outlet.Next owner might not want the TV but the outlet will still be there.Your placing yourself in a bad spot should anyone ever get hurt or killed.Tell them to come up with a code compliant method or forget it.Water,electric,alcohol just dont mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.