Height for general use receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAMAN

Is there a code requirement for the height of receptacles in a bedroom or living room? I know typically they are install 18" AFF. Is there a maximum or minimum height? I can't seem to find a requirement in the code book. Thanks.

bphgravity

None per the NEC, other than max height. Be sure to check the specific occupancy for state and federal ADA requirements which exceed the NEC.

marcb

Banned
In California there are height limits based on ADA requirements but these only apply to commercial occupancies only. The minimum height requirement is 12" above aff.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
For usual, non regulated (ADA, etc.) dwelling work, the height should match any existing visible devices in the room or area.

For new construction, some say the height is the length of the installer's hammer.

I like to grab a scrap of wood and make a jig.

Other times I will carefully use my tape measure. . .

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
77401 said:
I match existing on non ADA
New installs 14" to the bottom of receptalces & 48 to top of switches.
I think that fits the ADA requirements too?

Typically we use 15" and 45" to the center. Works out about the same as 77401's heights.

infinity said:
Typically we use 15" and 45" to the center. Works out about the same as 77401's heights.
We find it easier to measure the bottom & top of boxes if they are all the same.
Close enough no one will tell the difference.

My first new house as an apprentice the switches were at 30". Designer said it was a more natural reach since your hands are at that height. I wonder if the owners of that house ever gets any exercise at all?

Jljohnson

In my shop, receptacles go at hammer height to bottom of box. (MY HAMMER). Works out to 14-1/4" to bottom. All new hires must either measure my hammer or buy the same one that I use, lol. In reality, I don't even work in the field anymore but when I was out there that was the way it worked.

drg

What ??

What ??

Jim, are you saying that beyond using resonable methods to locate a buried box or 2 you would just take out you hammer and smash the wall up ?

While frustrating as this is, I hope you are just joking when you say this kind of stuff and don't really mean it.

JHarvey

drg said:
Jim, are you saying that beyond using resonable methods to locate a buried box or 2 you would just take out you hammer and smash the wall up ?

While frustrating as this is, I hope you are just joking when you say this kind of stuff and don't really mean it.

I doubt that he is. I've seen it done, normally after a few times of finding it in a nicer manner. Sometime you just have to train the other trades as well as our own "newbies":D

J.Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.